Ford E150 rear door won't open

Old 05-01-18, 01:13 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ford E150 rear door won't open

The drivers side back door is stuck, that one usually stays closed and has a latch that can only be accessed when the passenger side back door is open. The passenger side one with the outside handle works fine.

The cables are ok, they pull good, top latch works, bottom one seems to be seized in the half pulled position or something, I can only feel the cable moving when i pull the door handle, taut, no metal bits moving. I was working fine last time i used it before winter.

But I cant remove the latch mech unless I can get the door open as it attaches one bolt thru the bottom of the door!

Anyone know how to open the latch? I put lots of oil to lube it, waiting to see if that helps

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-18, 03:23 PM
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
You might want to go on a forum specific for that type of vehicle.
Have you tried the hanger in the window approach?

Old 05-01-18, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Possibly some sort of interlock that pulls out of the way when the passenger side is open? Or opening the door removes an obstruction that would prevent the drivers side latch from functioning. Similar to an interlock on electrical equipment?

Have you at least found some sort of parts diagram that shows how things are installed? Other than that, I agree, a type specific Forum might be best...though I'm sure you'll find plenty of enthusiast sites for F150's...a van might be more problematic.

Actually, just did a quick search for "e150 rear door latch problems" must have seen 20 videos on YouTube that could be relevant. Apparently there are some easily broken clips or stops on the cables that may not be immediately apparent, but when they fail give just enough slack that the latch won't operate..

Last edited by Gunguy45; 05-01-18 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Realized it was a van...not a truck...most of post was useless.
Old 05-01-18, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,018 Votes on 945 Posts
I've always had Ford vans. Never had a problem with the left (fixed) door.... always the right one with the handle and license plate. You have to remove the panel from inside the van to access the strikes. Once you have the panel off there is a large oval access area to work thru. You need to unhook the cables from the handle and pull them manually.

Took me a while to find it but here's a good video showing access to both rear doors.
you tube/watch?v=d5EktVBOvJ4

Also.... be sure the door is not just stuck to the gasket. That's a problem I've had after that door hasn't been used in awhile.

Old 05-05-18, 02:23 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for the replies, I did manage to get it open. The oil worked ok, the next day I managed to kick it open from the inside and lube it some more, seems ok now, cheers!