Steering Rack Replacement - 2004 Tundra

Old 07-02-18, 07:47 AM
Steering Rack Replacement - 2004 Tundra

I need to get the steering rack replaced on my 2004 Toyota Tundra (2WD 4.7L) and am wondering if I should buy the rack myself or let the shop handle it. My concern is the shipping to return the core will outweigh any cost savings. I can get an A1 Cardone rack for $250 after core return. I'm not sure how much shipping will be, but I'm assuming upwards of $50. The shop wants $950 for the entire job, which includes a front end alignment. Not too bad, but if I can save a hundred or two by getting the rack myself, I'd like to do so.

Also, the A1 Cardone comes with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, but there's a Cardone Select rack as well for $100 more with a lifetime warranty. I'm not sure I'll have the truck for three more years, but it's a possibility. Do you think it's worth the extra $100 for the lifetime warranty?

Last edited by mossman; 07-02-18 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-18, 08:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you ever replaced a rack? I was mechanic and would not even try in driveway. Your truck probably has more room than a car. Used to need special sockets to remove inner tie rod ends.Rack may come with them. Remember even if you do at home you will still have about 100 for alignment.

Old 07-02-18, 08:13 AM
Have you ever replaced a rack? I was mechanic and would not even try in driveway. Your truck probably has more room than a car. Used to need special sockets to remove inner tie rod ends.Rack may come with them. Remember even if you do at home you will still have about 100 for alignment.
I have not, and I don't plan on it. I was suggesting purchasing the rack on my own (from Rock Auto) to save a little, and providing it to the garage for install (yes, they will do that). Probably not worth the hassle.

Old 07-03-18, 04:56 AM
might look at ebay for a better price if the shop is willing to install your parts.

Old 07-03-18, 11:20 AM
The steering rack is the most common failure point of the early Tundra's, I owned a 04 4x4 with only 70k on it, and it needed replaced even that young. I believe there was a recall from a class action lawsuit, but I doubt it would still be in effect this many years later. Buy the cheapest model you can from Rockauto or a comparable site and have your shop install it. DO NOT buy it on ebay, it could be a cleaned up and repainted return and simply not worth the risk. I do not remember having a core charge on mine, but a local steel/scap buyer would be willing to give you at least a few bucks for it.
I have spent some time (yes, I installed my rack myself) under the front end of my 4x4 Tundra, it is very tight in there, and would suggest taking it to a shop. It took 3 people under the front to handle that monster, and regret doing in myself in hindsight.

Old 07-03-18, 01:29 PM
actually most of the sellers are reputable on ebay and have some sort of return policy I have quit using rock auto for the most part and use ebay a lot for parts often they have free shipping, besides new and remanufactured parts they do also often have used parts also but they are clearly listed as being used a lot of salvage yards do list parts on there also.