Draining fuel Tank

Old 08-15-18, 11:30 AM
W
Received 41 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Draining fuel Tank

I have a tank strap ready to install at the Dodge Dealer for my 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn as a safety recall. I JUST found out that they want no more than a fourth of a tank of fuel when i bring it in. It has a full tank. I have enough cans and vehicles around here to store the fuel, but no FAST way to remove it from the tank, I need a suggestion for hopefully a cheap electric fuel pump that has a small diameter plastic hose to insert in the full fill tube that I can safely remove the fuel. I know that siphoning this much fuel is going to be a pain....I am looking for suggestions!

Old 08-15-18, 11:48 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 112 Upvotes on 97 Posts
would just tell the dealer you have a full tank if they have an issue with it they can reschedule after you have used some fuel.

Old 08-15-18, 12:08 PM
W
Draining Fuel Tank

That would be the smart way to handle this, but I will always be too impatient for that. I have to believe that even if I can only get a 1/4" fuel line past the restrictor in the fill tube that I could pump out this tank. how do I find out exactly what is in the fill tube?

Old 08-15-18, 02:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
What do you mean "how do I find out exactly what is in the fill tube?" ??? Do you think your truck has additional restrictors or devices in the fill tube? In every vehicle I've siphoned there is nothing once you get past the restrictor and spring loaded door at the top.

My mechanic actually prefers a tank that's completely full. It's heavy but when full it doesn't slosh around and since he lifts tanks with a jack stand the weight doesn't matter.

Old 08-15-18, 03:47 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Having just put in a new fuel tank in my 62 Econoline it was more than a pain having to drain the fuel, clean up the mess, use up the fuel.

Just wait a week and do the safe thing!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1534373222

Attached Images  
Old 08-15-18, 07:30 PM
W
A few years ago, my daughter had a Dodge Durango that the fill tube restrictor was so bad, she could not get fuel into the vehicle hardly at all. At that time, Dodge reluctantly replaced the whole tank, along with the fill tube. Since I do not make it a habit of siphoning gas , until I try to snake a plastic line down into the tank myself, I can only trust the two mechanics from two different shops, who said I could not siphon it out. If You did it, perhaps you could tell me what diameter of line you used, and I can go from there.

Old 08-16-18, 02:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
The smaller the siphon hose the better chance it has of getting past the obstructions but if it gets hung up and shaves some the hose off - then you have the possibility of a new problem. Would it really be a problem to postpone the repair until you've had time to use up most of that gas?

Old 08-16-18, 07:38 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Talk to the service manager. Dealers have air-powered gas pumps/tanks for doing just this. My guess on the limit is they just don't want ONE customer to fill their tank so nobody else can use it til it's empty again--but exceptions can be made.

Old 08-16-18, 07:45 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I've had vehicles I could easily feed a large hose (5/8 - 3/4) down the filler, and others I couldn't even force a 1/4" hose into--flex vinyl or stiff poly. I've seen discussion of some spring thingy inserted down in the tank neck that blocks ANY hose from passing, but that's hearsay.

Old 08-16-18, 08:27 AM
W
I have already delayed the repair date, and for all the reasons described in previous comments, I do not want to go the siphon route, but If I was the guy who didn't push the limits I wouldn't be the "go to" guy that I am in MY neighborhood (as scary and aggravating as that is sometimes. My friends and neighbors know that if I say their crazy idea won't work, its probably because I probably already tried it! )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: