2002 dodge ram radiator hose

Old 09-26-18, 05:08 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2002 dodge ram radiator hose

theres something in my lower radiator hose. I can feel it and theres a spring. Is this a broken thermostat. It feels like its a bunch of things though that would be bigger than a thermostat

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-18, 05:10 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
There should be a spring in there but nothing else should be in there.

So, were you having issues? Was there something that caused you to check the hose? Some background may help us come up with answers.

Old 09-27-18, 02:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
I have seen that spring break on poorly maintained cooling systems. Is the hose original? if so I'd replace it.
btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 09-28-18, 05:33 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just picked the truck up for 500$ which was a deal I couldnt pass up, so I expected a few issues from the get. So I was replacing the shocks the other day and was up under the truck and noticed a big wet spot. Turned out it was transmission fluid which I had known about, just hadnt bothered to actually look up under the truck yet. As I looked around I also noticed a lot of oil. Anyways, I drove up to get some gas which is only about 6 blocks and I noticed the temp was getting high. I didnt let it go all the way into the red although thats where it was going. So checked the oil, pretty much dry, and I had changed the oil about 2 weeks ago, and transmission fluid was low as well. And then I got one of those head gasket cooling system additives that says will fill in any leak or crack or whatever. I figured Maybe I could fix all the probl;ems real easy. Well when I ran it with that stuff in it, it seemed to be fine, but then I felt the hose and thought maybe something was in it and figured it was part of thermostat. Well I wasnted to check theremostat but the top bolt on housing was rounded and couldnt get it out and then I had a bit of a fit and smashed the housing so then I had to buy a new one and it cam,e with thermostat. Put it all in, ran truck and its overheating already. So either i put it in backwards or its something else.

Old 09-28-18, 08:08 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
Radiator... $150

Change the top hose while your changing the radiator. Theres always a chance the top hose is collapsing.

I'd check to see if the water was gone again. If you're loosing water, I'd look around to see where the water is going. Check the right/passenger floorboard to see if its wet... heater core.
If no water is gone from the radiator, I'd be changing the radiator as my first option.

Old 09-28-18, 04:36 PM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
Why check the oil level because the engine is overheating? Reasonable thing is to check the coolant level. With a vehicle that age, I would check all the fluid levels daily until I had a clear picture of usage and then address the most serious condition first.