Anyone ever replace window track rollers?

Old 12-23-18, 09:40 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Anyone ever replace window track rollers?

92 Ford Ranger Supercab with 2.9 V6. My driver side power window was making jerky movements like it was seizing up. Sometimes it would free fall partway down into the door cavity too.

I have already removed the guts of the inside door. And I have new window regulator, window lift motor, and hardware ready to install. But I notice the glass bracket which slides up and down on a vertical track, seems to have a lot of play. This bracket still slides up and down freely. But I was able to use a telescoping mirror to see that the two square rollers are worn and cracked.

I don't know if this was causing the jerky movements. I also noticed the single gear on the old window motor had worn or chewed up teeth.

The roller in the photo is not from the bracket. It's from old regulator. But similar or same. The other photo is the glass bracket. It looks like the rollers are riveted. I don't think a new bracket is stocked any more. Already checked. Can the old rollers be drilled out and replaced with nut and bolt?

Or should I just finish the repair with old bracket and rollers and be done with it?

Right now the glass is being held up with 4 foot heavy duty cable ties.

https://i434.photobucket.com/albums/...4/IMG_1344.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...4/IMG_1346.jpg

Old 12-24-18, 06:25 AM
B
There is a Ford only junkyard in my city. If I can wait, I'll see if I can find the glass bracket and track there next weekend. If not, I'll probably have to re-use the old one. I shouldn't drive too long with the glass held in place with cable ties.

(By the way, while I was inside the door I decided to replace the inoperative door lock actuator, rod, linkage, lubricant, and plastic clips. I now have a fully functioning power door lock)

Old 12-28-18, 06:12 AM
B
I believe I found a solution for the worn, cracked window roller in the glass bracket. I plan on finishing the repair this weekend. I will follow up. Thanks

Old 12-29-18, 04:53 PM
B
I found these plastic rollers at the auto parts store. It's Dorman part number 74402. I sheared off the rivet head on the old one with my Dremel. Then I drilled out the hole on the glass bracket. Then just inserted new bolted one and tightened the nut.

The gear teeth on the old window regulator were in really bad shape. It reminded me of an old Three Stooges episode when Moe ran a saw blade across Curly's head. The teeth were all bent and flattened. That's how bad the old window regulator gear was!

So I have new driver side window lift motor, window regulator, and door lock modulator with fresh lubricant. Works good. All done.

I posted a photo of the new window roller in case anyone runs into the same problem

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: