Hard to Put Into Gear (5 Speed Manual)

Old 01-11-19, 11:22 AM
Hard to Put Into Gear (5 Speed Manual)

I have a 1991 GMC Sierra with a 5 speed manual transmission, 6 cylinder, 2WD. I've owned the truck for perhaps 8 years +/-. It sits around quite a bit as it's basically my beater truck for doing jobs around my house (hauling lumber, mulch, etc.). I believe mileage is around 180K. A couple of days ago, I jumped in the truck to make a run to Lowes. I could not shift into 1st or 2nd gear (no grinding sound, just wouldn't go into gear). However, I was able to get it into 3rd. So, I started off slow and drove around my neighborhood. Eventually, I was able to shift into 1st and 2nd gears. Shifting into gear isn't smooth though. I have to sort of force it into gear. Don't know that this is related, but for as long as I've owned the truck, reverse was always not quite right. What I mean is, I would first slip into 1st gear, then shift into reverse. If I just went straight to reverse, the gears would grind a little before I could get it in gear.

Last edited by WilliamH4; 01-11-19 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-19, 11:44 AM
First guess would be the linkage; worn, corroded, bent, or whatever, so I would start with a thorough visual inspection of the linkage, accompanied by someone sitting in the vehicle to shift gears. The engine does not need to be running for this.

Old 01-11-19, 01:43 PM
Check oil level. Your description sounds like it is about out of oil.
Those models were prone to problems,
Hope it is salvageable.

RR

Old 01-14-19, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm anxious to check each of your suggestions, but it got cold outside. My old truck is covered in snow, LOL. I'll take a look as soon as it thaws.

Old 01-14-19, 01:48 PM
If the oil is low in the transmission, I'm going to feel like a total moron. I have never checked the fluid level in the transmission. No dipstick up top made it easy to forget.

Old 01-14-19, 05:26 PM
but it got cold outside
Unless you are seeing big leaks on the ground I'll bet, lack of use, cold temps, thick fluid, hard shifting!