New and adding outside lights to my Ram

Old 02-08-19, 02:05 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New and adding outside lights to my Ram

I'm new here so if this didn't belong here please move it.
I want to add Puddle lights to my Ram. I want them to come on when I unlock my doors. Now I was going to tap into my courtesy lights in the cab but I don't want the puddle lights to come on when I turn on my done lights with the switch. So if there a device I can use?
Thanks for your time

Old 02-09-19, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

The most simple way would be to tap into your courtesy lights and then install a switch inside to disable the new lights when courtesy lights are turned on.

Old 02-09-19, 08:58 AM
A
Received 65 Votes on 57 Posts
would try to find a timer delay module that would work on the short pulse signal going to the door lock actuator that would be the more complicated option but then the lights could probably be setup to only come on when doors are unlocked.
here is some 5 and 10 amp timers below dont see how long of a trigger time it needs to function but you may contact them to see if it would work for what your doing.
Multi Functional Timers

Old 02-09-19, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,977 Votes on 2,686 Posts
There are several companies selling timer modules. The ones in Alan's link will work.

The vehicle either has two relays..... one for up and one for down. This is the easiest to find and tap into. You can listen and hear the relays clicking. That's where you'll tie in power and triggering.

The other type is the locks are controlled in a BCM (body control module). Connection is a bit harder to find but not hard to connect to.

If you post the complete info for the truck it can be checked.

Old 02-11-19, 12:58 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The truck is a 2001 Ram 2500. I can't tap into the courtesy lights because they will come on if I turn on the dome lights. I like the time delay module option. Someone said about a Arduino?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: