ABS acting up

Old 04-19-19, 01:44 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
ABS acting up

Hi all
My 2000 Ford Ranger's ABS system is acting unusual , getting going from a stop,I hear/feel a bang/thump, then the abs light comes on, then as I start to get up to speed, the speedometer needle swings from 30 to forty or 50 mph, and at peak. I can hear a click. I replaced the rear shoes, and drums, about 2 weeks ago. It ran/worked fine until today. AllData wasn't a lot of help. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Truck has about 120K Mi.
I could go to autoparts for a scan.
Sid

Old 04-22-19, 06:01 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are not stating whether or not the ABS warning light is flashing which would then indicate if you would even obtain a code using a scanner.

With the symptom you described and the mileage on your vehicle I would get it to a competent mechanic to put up on a lift and check the universal joints on the driveshaft for “play”. What you described is a classic description of a bad u-joint. Oh it could be something else but you should get it up on a lift anyway because maybe something fell apart in one of the rear brakes or a rear axle gear problem or maybe something up front or etc., etc.........

Let us know what you find out.

Old 04-23-19, 05:56 AM
S
It's going to a shop tomorrow, A tech guy. I will keep you posted.
Sid

Old 04-26-19, 03:22 PM
S
ABS sensor on rear differential had bad/corroded connection, "repaired/replaced", cleared codes, road tested. "all is good". Thanks for reply.
Sid

Old 04-26-19, 09:31 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting the solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: