Existing Clutch/Flywheel Pilot Bearing - No Roller Pins

Old 05-19-19, 03:08 PM
Existing Clutch/Flywheel Pilot Bearing - No Roller Pins

I'm trying to remove my old pilot bearing and can't get it out, but that's not my question. My existing pilot bearing does not have roller pins like my new one. I'm fairly sure they're never were any. Is that possible? It's a 91 GMC Sierra 4.3 liter V6. It's no designed in such a way roller bearings would work there.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-19, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
It's been my experience that auto manufacturers experiment with a lot of crazy things in their vehicles so it doesn't surprise me that they may have tried something like this.

WilliamH4 liked this post.
Old 05-19-19, 03:21 PM

Attached Images  
Old 05-19-19, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure how I posted the image twice. I'm concerned I've perhaps jacked this up now trying to remove it. There's no way this ever had roller pins. Now going to the task of removing this one, I've used an actual pilot bearing puller and can't get it out. This thing doesn't even spin! Maybe it was just packed with grease? That doesn't make sense to me, but I've never replace a pilot bearing. BTW, the new bearing came with a clutch kit I ordered. It's not like this one was bad, but now I just want to replace it since I've dropped the trans, etc., plus this one is a little scarred from trying to pull it out.

Old 05-19-19, 03:57 PM
What you have is a brass/bronze bushing. Very common . If you don't have an inside jaw puller designed for these pilot bushings, pack the entire cavity with heavy wheel bearing grease, find a bolt or rod that is a slip fit into bushing, place it in hole of bushing, wrap with a cloth (to prevent spatter) and rap firmly with a large hammer. The hydraulic force generated will force the bushing out. Problem solved.
Used this method in my auto repair career until I was forced to buy a puller to change out the needle bearings.

Good luck.

RR

Old 05-19-19, 04:09 PM
Thank you, Rough Rooster. I'll try that.

Old 05-19-19, 04:26 PM
Would you replace this bushing with the a roller bearing? I'm going to trying your suggestion, but if I still can't get it out, is there anything wrong with keeping the bushing? I guess it was just packed with grease?

I'll probably still work until I can remove the bushing since I have everything pulled apart.

Old 05-19-19, 04:50 PM
might watch some you tube videos of pilot bearing removal using grease or even bread they both seem to work.

Old 05-19-19, 05:32 PM
That is amazing. I would never have guessed that was going to work. Saw online where someone used a Craftsman 3/8 extension, turned it around to use to compress the grease. The extension fit perfectly and the bushing came out after a few firm strikes. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 05-19-19, 06:29 PM
Would you replace this bushing with the a roller bearing?
No, Bronze bushings have been around forever and will last just as long if not longer than roller bearing. And yes the grease trick works well for removing them.

Old 05-20-19, 01:52 PM
I decided to stick with the bronze bushing after reading up on the bearings. However, I ordered a new one since I scarred to other one trying to get it out.