Ac pressure rising to high

Old 06-23-19, 07:03 PM
Ac pressure rising to high

After I vacuumed my ac system and let it sit for 30 min to check for leaks, I introduced a 12oz r134 in the low side. The system took the can and the compressor kicked in, the pressure slowly begins to rise. The compressor appears to be working fine, however, the high side, which I had shut off at the manifold and was reading pressure only, kept rising. It went almost to 500psi before the compressor kicked off. The low side started around 40 psi and kept rising as well. Almost to 70psi. This was with one, 12oz can only. When I shut off the engine, the guage are supposed to equalize. The high side quickly dropped to 150psi and the low side shoots up to 300psi. I can only assume the orrifice or the system is clogged. Silverado 2500hd, 2004. Has any one else experienced something like this? Not sure what is going on. Also, the ac blew cold air only for a bit. Once the pressure got high on the low side, it blew warm air only and I could never get it to blow cold again. Any help is appreciated. Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-19, 12:09 AM
Upvotes Received: 6
would probably hook up gauges start it up and have a garden hose handy to spray the condenser look at your pressure readings while spraying the condenser if they dropped to below normal on both low and high since it only has 1 can of Freon in the system would probably look at airflow issues fan clutch, electric fan if it has one.
if the pressures still high would remove orfice tube and inspect it if its full of crap you probably have a lot more work to do replacing the compressor, accumulator and orfice tube and they usually recommend replacing the condenser also as they can be very difficult to flush out effectively.

Old 06-24-19, 07:30 AM
Ok, I'll try cooling the condenser down with water or external fan. I did remove the plastic shroud to see better. I'm gonna. Check the oriface as well. I'll update later.thx

Old 06-26-19, 10:57 PM
Well after waiting overnight in the pressure did seem to equalize. So I went ahead and inserted another can which added 24 oz. The vehicles recommended amount is1.6 LBS. I checked everything else it seems to be running OK I think the issue was the condenser was not getting cool Air. I put a fan on it and sprayed it with water and the temperatures on the high side dropped. Thanks for your help and your suggestion.