Dometic DuoTherm II AC stops running

Old 08-01-19, 05:01 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dometic DuoTherm II AC stops running

I replaced my new roof mounted AC unit in my travel trailer and am having an issue with it starting up and then turning off after about a minute of operation. The unit turns on when I turn it on from the thermostat. It begins to cool and everything operates as it should for about a minute and then I hear what sounds like a decrease in power from the unit and about 10 seconds later it shuts off completely. Nothing works on it at all including the fan. Soon after the breaker in my house tripped that is connected to the outlet that I had the trailer plugged into. I reset the breaker and tried the AC again with the same result but the breaker inside the house did not trip that time.

Two things I am thinking may be the problem and would like someones more professional opinion on which one may be the issue or maybe it is something completely different.

1. The new unit did not come with a new freeze sensor. During the scenarios above, I was not sure what the old sensor was so it just currently sits inside the return side of the unit. I have since done some research on what the wire is and see that it is a sensor that needs to be attached to the condenser coil or fins. Could the sensor not being attached to the condenser coil be the reason the unit completely shuts off?

2. My trailer is currently parked about 150' away from the front of my house. At the time of the scenarios above I had power running to it with two lengths of extension cords plugged into an outside outlet at the house. As mentioned, the breaker tripped the first time but I did have the lights on inside the camper too. The second time the breaker didn't trip but I did not have the lights. Could it be an issue where the AC unit is not getting enough power from this particular outlet and breaker and causing it to shut off?

3. Is there some other reason I may not be aware of that I should look at or troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance all for your help.

Old 08-01-19, 06:03 AM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
At the time of the scenarios above I had power running to it with two lengths of extension cords plugged into an outside outlet at the house.
You overloaded the circuit. Connect the RV to a 30 amp 120 volt circuit.

Old 08-01-19, 06:44 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So would the unit turn off ahead of the breaker tripping or even if the breaker doesn't trip at all?

Thank you for your reply btw.

Old 08-01-19, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,954 Votes on 2,665 Posts
Those units will not run with a voltage sag. They will go into protection. If it slowed down, stopped and restarted..... it would trip a breaker. Typically one of those 13.5kbtu A/C's needs just over 15A and is used on a 30A RV service.

If you need to run extension cords they need to be #10 gauge cords.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: