glove box latch -- ideas wanted

Old 08-24-19, 07:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question glove box latch -- ideas wanted

Ok pretty trivial but the wife is annoyed when she rides in the truck. The glove box latch broke years ago. I've tried a variety of methods to fix it. Velcro strips don't work -- heat from the sun on the dash melts the adhesive and the strip comes loose from the dash. I tried spray adhesive to beef it up without success. I'd like to screw the velcro to the dash but I'm afraid that the screw would render the air bag inoperable or worse cause it to explode. Am I right or would it be ok to do that? Are there other solutions to keep the glove box up? I'm to cheap to buy another box/latch.
I've also tried to make a manual latch that didn't work.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-19, 08:02 AM
Received 52 Votes on 47 Posts
Welcome. Even if it did not penetrate deep enough to breach the air bag itself I would not attempt to screw anything in front of it because in the event of the air bag being activated you would have introduced a projectile between it and the passenger. I don't know how the prices stack up but the velcro strips and adhesive cost something so why not put that amount toward the right latch for it?

Old 08-24-19, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You're right I didn't want to poke anything where the air bag is. Last time I looked the latches were ~$30-40. I had the velcro & spray adhesive so the out of pocket cost was zero.
And isn't messing around trying to cobble a fix much more fun than just buying the part and putting it in? (It is for me anyway)

Old 08-24-19, 01:54 PM
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
Have you checked with a local auto recycler?

Old 08-25-19, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Try a prop stick!

Seriously, just did deep and buy a replacement.........a used one would cost less than 1/2 a tank of gas.