Door lock actuator linkage comes apart for second time in less than a year!

Old 09-01-19, 07:25 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Door lock actuator linkage comes apart for second time in less than a year!

It was only a week ago that I solved that starting problem. Now something else! 92' Ranger XLT with 2.9 V6. I replaced all the electric window and door lock parts inside the driver side door beginning of 2019. All good except for this. The door lock modulator linkage has come apart for the 2nd time.

The problem is this rod has a hooked end that won't stay connected to the other linkage rod. The stupid hook slips out of the plastic keeper. I even bent the rod linkage a little bit and used two plastic keepers. It STILL came loose today and the door knob rod fell into the door cavity.

Before I remove the door panel and tear up the water shield again, how do I make the door lock modulator linkage stay connected PERMANENTLY?

Old 09-02-19, 06:38 AM
D
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
This sounds like a pain. I would go to FORD and have the parts guy look up all of the parts in their drawing and see if there is some silly plastic keeper that is missing. If your familiar with the parts then try the internet for a drawing that has all of the parts.

Second thought any chance of compressing the hook for the latch after it is all connected?

Old 09-02-19, 11:52 AM
B
It's just the crappy aftermarket hardware and keepers/clips I bought. The fit might be off just enough to cause a problem. I don't know if I can compress or bend the linkage hook. I know what you mean, and I considered that before. But it's hard getting a tool in that tight space.

I think what the hooked rod really needs is a cotter pin. It's kind of ironic that the extra linkage in the hardware kit has ends with holes. So this must be meant for cotter pins. But I don't see how the rods would fit together.

I'll have to put this off till next weekend to come with a solution. I might have to improvise something. Or maybe you guys can suggest something. Maybe some type of cable with hook/loop/cotter pin?

Fortunately, the door is in the locked position. I don't want to use it of course. So I have to do these 'acrobatics' that involves entering and exiting through truck passenger side.

Old 11-11-19, 12:48 PM
B
Sorry. I forgot to follow-up to close out this discussion. I just used a different kind of plastic keeper. This clip had an 'arm' that latched onto the linkage rod. So far, no problems.

So I wasn't using the best choice of plastic clip.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: