Dodge Dakota Starter relay

Old 12-07-19, 08:20 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dodge Dakota Starter relay

My 99 Dakota truck will not start. Silent as a lamb. I had a new battery installed a few weeks ago so I don't think that is the problem.

Could it be the starter relay, and if so, where is it located? If not the relay, what else could it be?

Appreciate any help, need truck for necessary, unchangeable appointment on Tuesday.

Old 12-07-19, 09:55 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I would start by removing, cleaning, and inspecting the battery cables, both ends, at the battery, as well as wherever the positive cable takes you, possibly to the starter as well as the fuse block, and wherever the negative cable take you, most likely to a hard to reach point on the chassis. Also check the belt(s) to make sure it/they is/are tight and in good shape. What happens when you turn the key? Do the dash lights come on? Does the radio work? Don't leave them on, obviously, but do the head and tail lights work? Like anything, brand new batteries can be bad, but not real common so I'd be leaning toward a bad connection or bad charging, hence checking the cables and belts.

Old 12-07-19, 11:24 AM
J
Thanks for a quick reply. Nothing happens when I turn the key, no lights, radio or anything.

They did a check with the new battery to make sure it was charging ok before letting me take the truck. New cables were installed last year. I have a really good mechanic that checks everything.

Old 12-07-19, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
If nothing comes on when you turn the key..... it is not the starting relay.
That relay is only used when the key is turned to the start position.

Does anything in the truck work.... like dome lights or headlights ?

Old 12-07-19, 11:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Sounds like the battery has been drained, Would be checking battery first.

Old 12-07-19, 12:18 PM
J
Nothing works. What would be causing a new battery to drain?

Old 12-07-19, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
If nothing works in the vehicle.... the problem is the battery or it's connections.
You should have a voltmeter or 12v test light as without it..... everything is a guess.

Old 12-07-19, 01:54 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
As mentioned, and at a minimum, you would need a meter, nothing fancy as an inexpensive analog meter from your local hardware store or big box would help, or a 12 volt test light in order to get a handle on this. And you would at least a basic understanding of the various circuits on a vehicle. Even then though, battery drain can sometimes baffle experts. But sometimes it's simple. It's anyone's guess where your situation falls. The reason I mentioned belts earlier is because they are what drive your alternator, so if it's worn or damaged it's possible that the alternator has not been producing enough to keep up with what the vehicle was using when running. Or it's possible that a cable connection is bad and the battery was subsequently not being replenished. Or it's possible that a door was left ajar, the dome light stayed on, and that's what drained the battery. In other words, it could have been an extended draw or an overnight draw. Or it could be that the battery, although new, is bad. What do you have to work with, and, just generally speaking, what is your skill set as far as diagnosing this?

Old 12-07-19, 02:30 PM
J
Not too handy in the automotive department. I guess I'll take advantage of my AAA Plus membership and let them check the battery, or tow it to my mechanic if necessary.

Thanks for all your input.

Old 12-11-19, 08:37 AM
J
Old Betsy is up and running. AAA could not jump start the battery, had to have it towed to my mechanic. The problem turned out to be from a faulty glove compartment latch. It was not closing tight enough and the inside light (did not realize it had one) was draining the battery.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: