Never been able to solve power steering leak

Old 02-02-20, 06:50 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Never been able to solve power steering leak

This inquiry is related to a discussion I just closed out. I have not been able to solve this problem going back about 15 years, I can never stop the power steering pressure line from leaking at the threaded fitting. The new pressure lines come with these flimsy plastic o-rings that deform easily.

I have tried everything: cardboard washer, metal washer, plastic washer, rubber o-rings, stacked multiple washers, combining different types of washers. I even tried wrapping the threads in thread sealing tape for fuel and oil.

I also tried different levels of tightness; snug..tight..

NOTHING works. All I can do is slow down the leak. And it doesn't matter if I install new equipment. I just installed new power steering pump and fluid lines. And it leaked immediately.

How do I improvise a fix once and for all!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-20, 09:24 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
It's leaking where the lines connect to the steering sector?

Old 02-03-20, 10:04 AM
It's leaking where the pressure hose fitting connects to the power steering reservoir. It's a bad leak. The reservoir completely drained and the pump went dry on the way to work this morning.

When I get home I have to see if the steering gear is leaking too. I've spent so much time on this. And I only got the one vehicle. This is a nightmare.

Old 02-03-20, 10:40 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
There's something wrong at the mating surfaces. Those things usually don't cause that much trouble.

Old 02-03-20, 11:24 AM
I have to look underneath tonight

Old 02-03-20, 09:25 PM
I'm monitoring this for several days to see if I fixed the problem. I'll report back then. Thanks

Old 02-07-20, 07:42 AM
I was able to close the leak about 95%. I gently bolted in the pressure hose fitting snugly till it stopped. I might tighten the fitting nut a little more. But when you start messing with it, the leak tends to re-open.

It's a poor design anyway. But I have completely operational power steering. I am thankful for that. So maybe I should leave it alone. W can close out this discussion unless anyone wants to add anything else.

Old 02-07-20, 09:55 AM
Received 171 Votes on 158 Posts
he new pressure lines come with these flimsy plastic o-rings
If it's an O-ring joint, none of the other options you tried will work.

I would have gone to auto parts store and picked up some better 0-rings as first try!

O-ring joints really dont need high torque, the pressure within the lines is what seals!

Old 02-09-20, 11:40 AM
I already tried better O-rings in the past. The pressure line comes with a nylon O-ring. Like you say, the sealing comes from the fluid pressure and the orifices mating together.

I'm not even sure what the purpose of the O-ring is anyway. It seems to me it's just to keep residue from leaking out, since it doesn't provide the primary sealing. And once you start bolting in the fitting, the included O-ring deforms and doesn't align very well with the circular fitting.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking. It might help me improvise something better.

Old 02-09-20, 06:35 PM
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
would probably call you local parts store see if they have any Teflon seals for fords should be a common item believe it is dorman 82540 soak in some hot water to make it a little more flexible carefully install it over your ps line trying not to stretch it out to much when its in the groove give it a few minutes to shrink apply a small amount of ps fluid to the surface and reinstall.
really never had any issues with these either so you may have a mating surface problem and trying a bunch of things like metal washers may of even did more damage than good but would try the original seal first.

Old 02-10-20, 07:41 AM
Fortunately I only tried the other washers and O-rings on the old power steering reservoir. I was very careful about threading and not applying too much torque to the fitting on this new one. So I'm confident I didn't damage any mating surfaces or threads on the new one.

I agree with you about sticking with the prescribed O-rings/washers in this case. Not a good idea to be experimenting with other washers. I just looked up Dorman 82540 assortment. The website says it's for power steering caps. It's probably just an inaccurate description on their website. Whatever the correct one is, I'll add it to my toolbox. Thanks