1990 Dodge 3.9v6 valve cover studs?

Old 02-24-20, 04:42 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1990 Dodge 3.9v6 valve cover studs?

I have a 1990 Dodge D-150 pick-up with a 3.9 V-6 and with badly leaking valve cover gaskets. I want to replace the valve cover gaskets with the new style rubber ones but have some questions - is it worth it/are they really better? The FeltPro ones I am looking at say that I have remove the valve cover studs and use their screws to secure the cover - how do I remove the valve cover studs? How do I use their new screws? (do I have drill out the old studs and tap/die the holes for the new screws???). Right now there are studs coming out of the head with 7/16 nuts attaching to them, they want me to replace them with screws that screw into the head - how? It seems like a lot of work - is it worth it? Is there a easy way to get the studs out - do they just screw out and then I can just use those same holes to screw the new screws into? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-20, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 603 Votes on 568 Posts
The existing bolts look like they have removable nuts but they don't.
The entire bolt will come out with the nut permanently attached.
They use this style to put plastic wire clamps on top. You'll no longer have those.

Name:  man bolt.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  19.3 KB

That's an old vehicle...... my opinion..... stay with the cork. I have had problems with the rubber gaskets. They require the valve covers to be very flat or they will leak. They can be more of a pain then they are worth.

Old 02-24-20, 10:31 AM
A
Hi.

I have never seen the engine or used the product you mentioned but i have removed lots of studs.

If it is what i think it is you are planning on doing, they want you to remove the existing studs and use the holes in the head for the screws they provide. That would mean you have replaced the nuts screwing onto the cover on the studs with screws pulling their cover onto the head.

Logically the screw threds in the head will be the same as the screws they provide so you should not need to tap anything Removing the studs is usually straight forward. You take 2 nuts, screw one about half way on and then take the second and screw it on untill it runs up against the first nut Then you take 2 spanners and tighten the 2 nuts against each other. Then you turn the bottom nut out and theoretically the stud will turn out.

CAUTION: the studs can break off, so dont go full tilt on it. I assume you have some mechanical knowledge so just be carefull.

I have found that tightening the stud/ screw/ bolt just a fraction before loosening it helps. Dont know why or how, but i remove hundreds of very stubborn bolts and screws daily. 9 out of 10 times it works. The one time it breaks off......

There must also be a couple of threads sticking out of the top of the nut assembly before trying to remove it, and if you ovet tighten the 2 nuts to each other you can break the stud between the nuts. If the stud is threaded all the way to the head, the lower the two locked nuts are the better. If the stud is very long it can twist and change shape, but not come out.

Remove one stud and compare the threads and length with what they provide before continuing Less wasted time.

Like i said earlier, i have never done what you described so i cant say it will work, but the stud removal is quite straight forward.

Good luck

Old 02-24-20, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
The existing studs are stud/nut combos. There is no hard work or removal.
Those studs will just come right out like any other bolt.

Old 02-24-20, 11:52 AM
S
Actually, the existing studs don't have any nuts that I can see attached except the ones that are used to secure the covers on - so the picture of the "old" one isn't correct. However, the other comment about just being screwed into the head may be correct - as that is what it looks like. I will try the two nut method of unscrewing the studs out and see if that works. Also, does anyone know why it would be that important to use Flepro's new screws instead of the stud/nut combo that was used OEM? I can't see why it would be that important but every listing I see says the new screws have to be used. Thanks and wish me luck.

Old 02-24-20, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not following you. You say you have studs with nuts on them but they don't look like in the picture. How can that be ?

I have never seen a stud stay in the manifold.

Old 02-24-20, 12:21 PM
S
The threaded studs come out of the heads and when assembled through the gasket and valve covers and then the nut holds everything in place - so the nut is on top of everything. Just looking at it I thought the studs were either cast as part of the head or pressed into the heads somehow. All I see is a smooth head surface with these threaded studs coming out of them and there was nothing on the threaded studs to grab to try to unscrew them. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Old 02-24-20, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
Watch the video below. It shows how the valve cover bolts come out in one piece.
Dodge valve cover disassembly.