1999 F-250 improved braking

Old 07-04-20, 01:46 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
1999 F-250 improved braking

My 10 cyl, 1999 Super Duty has never stopped in a manner that really satisfies me. I would like to do what I reasonably can to improve its capability in a panic stop. The auto parts store suggested new rotors compatible with heavy duty semi metallic pads. Any other ideas?

One other question. If maximum pressure is applied to the brake pedal to make a short stop, what is the risk of blowing out a line or master cylinder?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-20, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 920 Votes on 860 Posts
I have a 1999 E-350 super duty van with 7.3L diesel. I just replaced the rear main brake line. This is the one that runs along and is attached to the frame. Yours should be similar. Depending on your location you should be finding the lines rusting. A panic stop could possibly rupture a weak line.

I have never had problems stopping even in a few panic stops.
Are you having issues when loaded ?
Shouldn't be any problem if you are running empty.

Semi metallic pads will definitely improve stopping.

Old 07-05-20, 12:20 AM
Received 311 Votes on 291 Posts
You will never blow out a master cylinder, a rusted line would just start leaking causing the pedal to go to the floor.

Tires can have a huge impact in braking performance!

Old 07-06-20, 05:33 PM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
@ PJmax the Navistar International DT444E AKA PowerStroke as it was callled in those Ford applications.
Those were excellent engines but they got killed off in the middle of 2003 because they could not meet the newer strict emission standards. The new diesels are garbage with all of those emission control devices. Diesel exhaust Fluid Diesel Particulate Filter.

I was in high school kid then I remember the bus was owned by Laidlaw (Now FirstStudent and now probably something else) it was a 1997 E-Series cutaway (I don't remember if it was a E-350 or an E-450) but the body was made by Corbeil and the vehicle fleet number was 927507. I loved the sound of those engines, I am probably the only one who likes the smell also.

I don't even know how I can remember that bus after 18 something years since I graduated high school but I do

Old 07-06-20, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Not to hijack this thread......

Yes..... Powerstroke. Currently nearing 500k miles. I'm in the process of installing the 5th water pump in it.
Leaks a lot of oil. Seals getting old. Love the smell of diesel..... except leaks and I've had them too.

Old 07-06-20, 09:13 PM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Wow! 5 water pumps how much is each one and how long does that job take?
I have seen ones with around 600K on them. I have never actually smelled the actual fuel I am talking about the smell they make around you when the engine is running.

Old 07-06-20, 10:40 PM
Group Moderator
Costs me $165. Water pump, thermostat, 4 gallons antifreeze. Take 5-6 hours.
The Powerstrokes required low phosphate antifreeze to keep from chewing up the pump seal.