Can I remove wheels from trailer, to lower to ground and unload something?

Old 07-14-20, 10:19 AM
T
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Can I remove wheels from trailer, to lower to ground and unload something?

Need to unload something heavy (~400 lbs), and dont have a lot of help available.

I had an idea to use two jacks to remove both wheels, then slowly lower each jack at the same time so that the trailer drops down to ground level.

Seems straightforward and easy... anything I'm not thinking about, before I attempt it?

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

07-14-20, 10:28 AM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 522 Votes on 479 Posts
Removing the trailer wheels just to unload 400 pounds is a crazy amount of work. You're not going to be able to lower it too much and still keep the trailer on the jacks so at most you'd gain a few inches. What is it about the weight that makes it so difficult to unload? Your dealing

Old 07-14-20, 10:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Removing the trailer wheels just to unload 400 pounds is a crazy amount of work. You're not going to be able to lower it too much and still keep the trailer on the jacks so at most you'd gain a few inches. What is it about the weight that makes it so difficult to unload? Your dealing

p_gordon, tiresharkdbb voted this post useful.
Old 07-14-20, 10:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
I agree, too much work for too little benefit. Tell us more about what you have to unload and perhaps we can suggest something better to get it off of the trailer.

Old 07-14-20, 10:38 AM
Received 309 Votes on 289 Posts
Possible sure, will it help,your the only one to know.

Got a hill you can back up too? Thats how I get items off and on without ramps!

tiresharkdbb voted this post useful.
Old 07-14-20, 10:40 AM
T
It's very bulky, like 5 ft by 5 ft.

The platform it's going to is raised a bit, and I measured everything, and it will only be an inch or two higher, so it can just slide off.

I was going to rig up a ramp, but when I had this idea it seemed a lot easier. I can have the wheels off in like 5 minutes.

Sounds crazy at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like it might work.

Old 07-14-20, 11:03 AM
H
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
Need to unload something heavy (~400 lbs), and dont have a lot of help available.
1) Sounds like you're unloading a pallet of something?

2) If that is the situation, and you've got any of several small trailers, then If-I-Were-You
-backup the trail up so the pallet is located where you want it to be.
-throw a cargo strap around the base of the pallet and fasten to a tree or 4x4 post directly behind the truck.
-unhook the short "runaway chains" from the trailer and re-hook with longer and heaver towing chains.
-drop the ramp and CAREFULLY undo and lift the ball hitch so the trailer is only connected to the truck by the towing chains. Cover the ball hitch with an old tire or pieces of old carpet so that it doesn't jump and scratch the back bumper of the truck.
-SLOWLY pull away so that you're using the heavier towing chains to PULL the trailer away, while the cargo strap HOLDS the pallet in place.

3) Get the truck and trailer straight
Put the truck in reverse.
Tap the gas with the right foot.
Slam on the brakes with the left foot.
Repeat until unloaded.

p_gordon, tiresharkdbb voted this post useful.
Old 07-14-20, 11:52 AM
T
Thanks for the input everyone. There were two things I forgot about...

One was a dummy moment... I forgot that the wheel hubs stay on the trailer (duh), so I wouldn't gain that much distance by removing the wheels.

The second thing was that I completely forgot that this trailer has a heavy duty ramp for it... my dad took it off like 30 years ago, put it behind the shed and we never used it. I went and got it, and I think it will work fine... it's not that steep of an angle, and there are a few guys around me that have offered help if I need it.

Here are a couple pics.

Thanks again.

(P.S. - I will hook a vehicle up to the front when I unload it, so the trailer doesn't flip over, lol. If anyone sees anything else sketchy, let me know.)

Old 07-14-20, 12:07 PM
P
Group Moderator
Oh, it's just a package unit. Slide it off and don't over think it too much. I've set many of them by myself. It's really not bad. You do NOT want to lower the trailer. You want gravity to help you.

Option 1: Slide the unit off it's pallet. That will save you 5" in height. Then lay plywood/cardboard/carpet on the ramp so it doesn't catch on the bars and slide the unit down onto the pad. Your ramp may actually be too shallow so it will require some hip checks to move it.

Option 2: Remove the ramp from the trailer. Back the trailer up to the pad. Chock the trailer's wheels. Use ratchet straps, rope & pulley or 2x4 as a lever to slide the unit towards the rear of the trailer. Once you get far enough it will start to tip and the unit can slide down onto the pad.

Old 07-14-20, 02:52 PM
T
Thanks Pilot, #1 is what I did. I used two straps... one to hold tension on it, and another with a little slack... go in front of the unit and release the tension, and shimmy it down a little till the other was tight, and repeat.

I probably could have done it without the straps, because it was pretty stable, but better to be safe.

Was a lot easier than I thought it would be... I spent way more energy on just dragging the ramp out, lol.

Thanks for the input everyone.

p_gordon voted this post useful.
Old 07-14-20, 03:47 PM
H
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
Well, that's perfect. But not, well, FUN...

Guess Guinness should create a category for "trailer slide"....

Getting the Guinness world for the closest parallel slide park
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old 07-15-20, 04:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
When you complete the install for your unit unit don't skimp on the flashing. I have a lot of trouble with animals (mice, squirrels...) getting under homes through openings around package units. Enclosing around the ducting and making sure it's sealed to the unit and house is obvious. The sneaky spot is the gap underneath the unit because of it's feet holding it a couple inches off the pad. At the minimum cut a pressure treated 2x4 to fill the gap or it can be blocked with some flashing or trim stock material.

Old 07-15-20, 09:45 AM
T
Thanks Pilot... I hadn't thought about that, and I will definitely do something about it.