warped trailer

Old 06-07-21, 09:34 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
warped trailer

Hi,
My name is Rex Laughlin, I live in South Dakota. I recently purchased a 5x8 wire mesh trailer, and installed 5/4x6x8 pressure treated decking boards. I am using this trainer to haul my motorcycle.

The other day I noticed that one of the front corners was starting to dip. One of my brothers thought it was due to the wood warping, but I am not sure. The boards had been outside for a few weeks before I put them on the trailer. Maybe they were still quite wet when installed, then dried out and warped the frame??? I don't think the had this problem before I put the boards on, but again, I am not sure.

Any thoughts on the cause and how to fix? Or, is it something not to be concerned about?

Thank you for your time!

Rex

Old 06-07-21, 09:38 AM
Received 531 Votes on 491 Posts
I would not think the wood would be sufficient to twist the frame, more likely it was built that way or somehow overloaded.

To prove, unbolt all the planks and see what happens!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 06-07-21, 10:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 424 Votes on 379 Posts
I would think that the trailer would have been made out of way to thin tubing in order for the wood to cause the warping. I too suspect overloading was the cause.

Old 06-07-21, 01:00 PM
R
Thanks for the replies. How do I fix it?

Rex

Old 06-08-21, 02:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 424 Votes on 379 Posts
You'd need to remove the wood and see if you can twist it back into shape [may need a torch] and then weld in bracing to keep it straight.

Old 06-09-21, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
I agree.
I would remove the boards and see where the problem is.
What is the weight capacity of the trailer?
if warping boards caused the trailer to twist then you have a serious problem.
When a trailer is assigned a weight carrying capacity it would be expected to carry that weight on all types of road conditions.
If warping boards caused the twist what would happen if your trailer hit a unseen pothole at high speed?

Remove the boards and see what happens.
You may want to reconsider making a bigger investment in a more substantial trailer.
A,good trailer should straighten crocked boards, not the other way around.

Old 06-09-21, 11:34 PM
J
Received 106 Votes on 93 Posts
What's the plans for using it?
It's just a cheap, light weight trailer, if it tows straight and serves your needs I'd use it until it rusted out and fell apart.

Old 06-10-21, 04:43 AM
Received 370 Votes on 335 Posts
I agree with Marksr. That trailer looks like it's in pretty good shape and worth getting fixed.

Old 06-10-21, 07:26 AM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Over-tightening your tie-down straps could cause excessive pressure one the corner where the motorcycle wheel is located. Does the motorcycle sit diagonally when hauling it?

Old 06-10-21, 12:07 PM
R
Thank you for all the replies. I will try and answer all the questions.

I purchased it to be a motorcycle trailer. The payload capacity is 1,675 lbs. My motorcycle weighs in at 475. The motorcycle rides right down the middle. My wheel chock has tiedowns that connect to the chock, not the trailer. I only used the trailer one time before I noticed the problem.

I wouldn't think that the boards could bend a trailer. The boards had been outside for a couple weeks before I put them on, and at the time there was no real problem with warping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: