My Truck Rolls Excessively on the Interstate

Old 06-23-21, 05:30 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My Truck Rolls Excessively on the Interstate

My 1998 Tacoma 4WD truck has 109K miles on it and I bought it new in 1998. Over the last 30K miles and about 10 years it has developed a side-to-side roll. It is most noticeable on the interstate when driving 70+ mph. When I drive over the occasional dip the roll is not too bad (sometimes nonexistent), but when the dip is deep or on a rough spot, or when there are 2 or 3 dips right after one another the roll becomes almost dangerous and I have to really hang on the steering wheel to keep the truck under control.

For the first 10-12 years I did not have this problem. I've replaced the shocks with stock ones about 15K miles ago, and I replaced the steering gear about 4K miles ago (about a year ago). My Michelin LTX tires are half worn and are showing no signs of cupping. The truck suspension is stock. I replaced the sway bar mounting bushings and link bushings a couple months ago. The springs have not been replaced. The truck steers nice and tight and does not drift. There are no odd clicks or other noises associated with the roll. None of the suspension shows any signs of lubrication leaks. I've had the lower ball joints checked for looseness and they do not have any play in them, and the truck gets an alignment annually.

It really feels like a broken sway bar link (I know because I've broken them before) but I can't see anything wrong with them.

I know it could be the leafs or the coil springs (but I don't think so because the ground clearance has not changed since it was new) or the upper and/lower control arms but I don't know how to check those.

I don't want to start throwing money at this until it is fixed or I until go broke. If somebody could tell me how to check for worn control arm bushings I would appreciate it. Also, if anybody has any ideas of where else to look I would like to hear from them.

Old 06-23-21, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Have you heard of the Tacoma frame recall? If not you might want to read up on it.

Old 06-24-21, 04:52 AM
J
Received 31 Votes on 30 Posts
Try looking up "bump steer" and see if you are experiencing similar symptoms.

Old 11-16-21, 08:45 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
UPDATE:
I replaced the front springs with new Toyota parts. The roll is better now but it is not completely gone. Maybe I'm just getting more sensitive to it in my old age.

Old 11-16-21, 09:09 AM
B
Received 21 Votes on 19 Posts
If the center of gravity of your truck is high, it could cause this.
Do you have heavy things mounted on top of the cab or above the bed?

>Maybe I'm just getting more sensitive to it in my old age
Have some friends drive your truck.
Don't mention "roll" but ask them what they thought.
Don't tell each one what the others said.
If more than half mention "roll" it's probably not you.

Last edited by bulova; 11-16-21 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Please do not copy and paste text from other websites.
Old 11-16-21, 01:29 PM
B
Received 21 Votes on 19 Posts
You can check your truck’s tendency to roll with a level & a tape measure, but you need a similar truck to compare it to.

I opened the door on my unloaded Nissan Frontier & put my full weight [180 Lbs] on the door edge and this edge dropped about 2” & was about 6’ from the vehicle centerline.

6’ x 180 lbs is 1080 lb-ft of torque trying to tip over the truck. This torque put the truck off level by 2” out of 72”, about 1.5 degrees.

Compare this with a similar truck using your own body weight & a level & a tape.

If your truck drops twice the distance with the same torque as the similar truck I’d say it has a problem.

Old 11-17-21, 04:29 AM
B
Received 182 Votes on 162 Posts
Have you checked the cab to frame mounts. Could be loose bolts, deteriorated rubber, etc. allowing cab to move relative to frame.

bulova voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: