How do I power a winch?

Old 10-02-21, 06:02 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How do I power a winch?

I have an '02 Silverado. I want a Harbor Freight winch mounted in the bed. I am not sure gow to wire it. Here is the instructions https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...1999/61297.pdf My main question is, whats up with the solenoid in the diagram? I do not have one and I don't know what it does in this situation. A fuse or circuit breaker is all I understand and mt winch does have the circuit breaker. What kind of wire do I need? Etc.
Can someone give me a boost on this project?

Old 10-02-21, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 597 Votes on 512 Posts
My main question is, whats up with the solenoid in the diagram?
Have you bought the winch yet? I suspect the "solenoid" comes with it. (Likely the control box)

I can't find how much current the winch draws but I would recommend #10 or #8 automotive-type copper wire as it is more flexible and will be easier to route/work with.

Old 10-03-21, 03:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 118 Posts
The solenoid is just like the one for your starter. You don't run all of that operating juice through a single switch between the battery and the winch, the same as you don't run the starting current through the ignition switch on your steering column. A single switch for that kind of current (and T.I.'s recommended wire size) would be massive.

Old 10-03-21, 04:11 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, browsed the instructions some more. It refers to a remote control, but I'm not sure if that is something wireless or a connected control switch. At any rate, the solenoid box is controlled by this remote and when you actuate whatever switch is involved, it closes the solenoid to power up the winch.

Instructions call for #10 cable.

Old 10-03-21, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
Yes.... that is a remote controlled switching solenoid. The instructions are pretty vague.

Typically the winch is mounted in the front and #10 would be ok.
Since you're putting it in the rear.... I'd increase the wiring size to at least #8 due to voltage dropping.

Old 10-04-21, 10:36 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I made a mistake. I posted the wrong link to the manual. It is not 61297. The correct model is 95912. The correct link is here https://manual-hub.com/manuals/chica...01-pdf-manual/
This winch apparently does not have a solenoid or a breaker that needs to be inline. But I wonder if they are built into the winch.
I opened the box mounted to the top of the winch and it does not appear to have them in there either. The box contains 2 relays (forward and reverse?) and a small circuit board which I assume is the remote receiver. Where are the solenoid and breaker?
I guess my only question is, what size wire to use and that has been answered (#8).

Old 10-06-21, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
Well, based on the manual, the box on top is the remotely controlled solenoid. All the installation instructions call for is attaching the two power leads and activating via the remote.

Old 10-06-21, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
Yes..... the box contains the entire control assembly.

You still need a protection method at the battery. It protects the wiring in case it shorts to ground.

I had a mobile electronics shop for many years. I had to make sure my work was safe and bulletproof.
I had different size fuses in stock and could select the right one by trial.
I'd try an AGU-200 on your winch and have a spare AGU-300.
You could also go with a 200A circuit breaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: