2007 Dodge Ram no heat

Old 10-08-21, 06:47 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2007 Dodge Ram no heat

So truck has no heat on any setting, but ac is fine and blows cold, any ideas?

Old 10-08-21, 07:40 AM
J
Received 31 Votes on 30 Posts
Likely one of two causes; 1. heater core is clogged, or, 2, blend door is broken.
You can check the heater core by draining the coolant and disconnecting the two smaller heater hoses from the water pump. Pressurize one of the hoses with a garden hose and see if water flows through the heater core and out of the other hose.
There are videos on checking the blend door.

Old 10-08-21, 08:21 AM
B
Received 181 Votes on 161 Posts
The HVAC system has 3 doors, each driven by an electric motor to a position based on the HVAC control settings. One door is for inside/outside air. Another door is for heat/air conditioning. The other door is for windshield/cabin. The doors are plastic and have a plastic coupling to its motor. Door location is determined by a HVAC computer based on its calibration data. The calibration data is obtained by the HVAC computer driving each door to its extremes (full open/full closed) and storing the electrical readings. The calibration is done automatically each time the battery is disconnected and reconnected. Based on your symptoms I see two possibilities. One is the battery was disconnected/connected and the calibration is still occurring. Second and most probable is the plastic coupling on the plastic heat/air conditioning door has broken off and the door is laying in the air conditioning position. This is a common problems with Ram trucks. A Dodge dealer can replace the door but it is an expensive repair as the AC must be evacuated and the HVAC plenum removed from the vehicle. There are after market fixes that replace the plastic doors with metal doors. Door replacement requires a cutout to the plenum. After replacement the cutout is reattached or aluminized tape is used to cover up cutout. Some of the after market companies list local businesses on the web that will install their product.

Old 10-08-21, 08:36 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 150 Votes on 123 Posts
I agree. Heater core or blend door. Could be some other minor things here or there but I'd certainly start with checking the heater core. Blend doors were a huge issue on the '02 - '08.
Either job you have to pull the dash. I've had both changed. The blend door issue has been reconfigured by Chrysler (Ram/Dodge) & its a whole new system. You cant just change a door anymore. Gotta change the whole innerds out. All doors & ducking. And just FYI, the heater core & the AC condenser now fits within the duck-work. They both have to be pulled & replaced to install the new, redesigned heat/air duck-work & blend door system.
$1400 just for the parts.

If its either, have everything changed at the same time. Pulling the dash is labor intensive & is expensive.

Old 10-08-21, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,953 Votes on 2,664 Posts
Unfortunately we're all familiar with Dodge problems.
I would definitely have the heater core checked first.

Old 10-08-21, 09:01 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ugghh, I have replaced a heater core on a Dodge Durango and vowed to NEVER do that again, I'm just a petite little ol gal. and it took me 3 weeks in the middle of a Colorado winter. Pulling the dash on a dodge is probably one of the absolute worst of all vehicles, I've never had issues like I did with it...well I'm thinking sell as is with the likelihood of needing either of those 2 fixes, because I'm not tackling it myself and I'd rather save the cost to repair and buy something else! Thank you all for your amazing responses! Anyone want to buy a dodge? 🤣

Old 10-09-21, 09:07 AM
B
Received 181 Votes on 161 Posts
I replaced the HVAC doors on my 05 ram with doors made by Heater Treater. Did not remove the dash. Removed heater control with panel, cup holder, glove box, maybe radio and some smaller pieces. There is a brace from the dash to the transmission tunnel causing difficult access to one of the doors. One could cut it off and have it rewelded. I drilled a series of holes vertically on each side of the brace and used a metal cutoff wheel to remove the metal between holes. This left 2 vertical pieces of the brace intact. Since the drilled holes were a larger diameter than the width of the cutoff wheel I was able to reattach the removed part of the brace using 4 screws with nuts. I place this job on the high difficulty end of DIY projects. FWIW, my HVAC doors have been trouble free for over 10 years.

Old 10-09-21, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,953 Votes on 2,664 Posts
My father has a 2014 Dodge Ram p/u that had a clogged core. They were able to blow it out.
Now it's leaking inside the cabin.

Old 10-09-21, 01:19 PM
D
Group Moderator
Since some others have mentioned it, yes you do have the option of replacing some of the doors by cutting & removing pieces of the original interior of the truck around the dash. In my research, some people are fine with this & have had success although its still a difficult job, however it is less expensive.
You can also buy aftermarket doors that have various reviews. I have found a place that does make metal doors to replace the plastic OEM doors that break.
All of this is possible & readily available.
My point was that, You cant buy replacement doors & parts this job from Dodge/Chrysler/Ram. Its all completely refigured now because just replacing the doors was not always a sure fix, because its the complete design of the original design. It was something about the way the actuator motors & the frame work was designed that caused the motors & doors to become "in a bind" & would break the doors. So, even changing the doors was a gamble. Often times it would either break the doors or break the actuator mounts or bind up the actuator & it would go out. Or it would break the housing that the actuator &/or door is mounted on.

I'm not saying that it always happens, because I know some people have had success. However, Its a gamble. Aftermarket parts in an already defective system at the expense of cutting & breaking out otherwise good parts of the dash/support system. And its still a PITA job.
IMHO, if you can afford to, if there is any way possible, remove the dash, replace the ducking system, blend doors etc & while your in there, spend another $75 - $100 & replace the heater core & a/c condenser. Its done right with all new redesigned system & chances are good that you wont have to go back in for the other two low cost items. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-02-21, 05:44 PM
W
Received 33 Votes on 31 Posts
Was any of this fixed by Dodge in later built models? I have a 2012 that has been trouble free (35000) miles. I obviously don't drive it too much lol

Old 12-02-21, 06:10 PM
D
Group Moderator
The issues discussed here were mainly limited to the '02 - '08 Dodge Ram.

Old 12-02-21, 08:20 PM
W
Received 33 Votes on 31 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me with THAT good news! I did not need a challenge as described in the previous posts!

Happy Holidays!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: