Does alternator need to be removed before replacing voltage regulator?

Old 10-09-21, 02:33 PM
B
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Does alternator need to be removed before replacing voltage regulator?

92' Ford Ranger XLT with 2.9 V6. Do I really need to remove the alternator to install the new externally-mounted voltage regulator? The alternator is at the top of the engine bay, and there should be enough room to work with the alt in place. Granted, removing an alternator isn't a big deal. But I'd prefer not to.

My latest Chilton manual says be careful when installing, to make sure the brushes don't hang up on the rotor. Is this why they say remove the alternator first?

Old 10-09-21, 04:48 PM
A
Received 64 Votes on 56 Posts
looks like it is easy to change would probably pull the alternator, remove belt and 2 bolts really thats like adding 10 minutes to the job not really a big deal to be able to change it off the vehicle would be worth it to me.
plenty of you tube videos showing the process if you want to search for one.

Old 10-10-21, 02:13 PM
B
Yeah. I agree. Better if I remove it. Thanks

Old 10-18-21, 07:32 AM
B
I replaced voltage regulator and alternator brushes this weekend. You're right. It was worth it to remove the alternator and it did not result in very much increased labor for me.

But one of those plastic clips that fastens the pigtail power connector to the alternator broke. The connector was soldered on in 2017. So I only have one clip and a cable tie holding it on

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: