security light flashing after replacing stereo?

Old 12-27-21, 01:18 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
security light flashing after replacing stereo?

2000 Silverado, extended cab 3 door.

Took factory stereo out and installed new Sony stereo. Basic no frills, I think it is referred to as single DIN. Has a cd player. Anyway I have installed it and connected the wires and now the security light blinks when I turn the key off? Any suggestions of what I have done?

Old 12-27-21, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,954 Votes on 2,665 Posts
Doesn't the security light blink normally when the key is turned off ?

I don't think a 2000 OEM radio communicated with the vehicle computer so that isn't a problem.
There are two power lines to the radio...... always live and on with the key.
Make sure you didn't blow a fuse on either of those two.

Old 12-28-21, 02:26 AM
K
Ok, I will check that. But I can add that the radio is working, it comes on when I turn the key on and it goes off when I turn the key off. Also when I first hooked the battery back up, the truck would start but not stay running if I let my foot off the gas. After a few minutes of this is would stay at idle. I will follow up on what I find about your suggestion later today.

I did find one thing about resetting the security light by getting in the truck. This is what it says to try. I will try this also.

To reset the anti-theft system on the Chevy Silverado You will need to get into the car and lock the doors. Now with the doors locked put the key into the ignition and turn it to the on position. Let it sit there for 5 minutes until the anti-theft light blinks. Once it blinks You will need to turn it to the off position, then turn it back to the on position. Now wait for a min and it will blink again. Turn it off then on one more time. When it blinks for the third time go ahead and start the engine. The anti-theft is now reset.

Old 12-29-21, 02:51 AM
K
I don't see that any fuses have blown. It seems to be related to the door locks in some way. The truck starts and runs fine. When I turn the truck off, go to get out, lock the doors and close the door, then the security light will keep blinking. If I unlock the door using the key, the light stops blinking. I can lock the door back using the key and the security light doesn't blink.

The security light I am talking about is on the message center part of the dash. Same place that it tells you to change oil and such.

Maybe there is a way to reset the security message?

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: