2022 Ford Edge with 25 miles and busted trans!

Old 02-08-22, 10:22 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2022 Ford Edge with 25 miles and busted trans!

Need some quick advice - ordered a 2022 edge a couple months ago, just took delivery and drove for less than 30 minutes/25 miles when trans starts slipping and check engine goes on. Took to the dealer and they said a sensor inside the trans went bad and the clutches fried. They want to put in a brand new not rebuilt trans but this all makes me very wary. I donít see any big history for this while googling, and frankly ford seems to be better than most on reliability - one of the reasons we made this choice. But once itís apart itís not a new car anymore. Iíve asked what they can offer in the way of extended drivetrain warranty and waiting to hear back. What do you think I should do, and expect (or demand) from them? Should I take the repaired car? Thx as always!

john

Old 02-08-22, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,944 Votes on 2,657 Posts
I would request the transmission cooler to be replaced..... not just flushed.
A new transmission should be ok.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 02-08-22, 11:57 AM
T
Received 63 Votes on 58 Posts
Aside from requesting a loaner vehicle, I think your request for an extended drivetrain warranty is reasonable. Your vehicle sadly will not be worth the same as one that did not have it's transmission replaced, however you are getting "compensation" by having that extended warranty. Not sure how long you keep vehicles but if you put on enough miles, when the time comes to sell it any reduction in value due to transmission replacement is probably relatively small compared to other issues the vehicle will have had.

Some states have lemon laws the can protect consumers if there are reoccurring problems with the same issue. So if you have transmission issues going forward, keep good documentation. Writing to Ford customer service (not the dealership) about your disappointment of what occurred (in respectful terms regarding only the vehicle and not in dealing with dealership) can lead to a call to the dealership to grease the skids.

Lastly, if you haven't already, often you will receive a follow-up request for a review. In it, again document your disappointment. Service and sales people obviously do their best to keep bad news from their bosses. Using their reviews might get the issue noted a little higher up. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 02-08-22, 12:15 PM
G
Thank you. Do you think there could be material in there, or damage? They did say that the clutches were fried and so it did overheat. But that there was no material in the pan so I guess they dropped it. Again thank you appreciate the input!

Old 02-08-22, 12:17 PM
G
Tumble thank you - Iím in NJ and we have a good lemon law I believe was thinking along the same lines.

Old 02-08-22, 04:03 PM
T
Received 63 Votes on 58 Posts
If they balk at a cooler replacement I'd ask them to preserve the clutches for you to take a look at (so you can document the condition of them for future issues take multiple photos, they'll probably want to keep them). Whether you know what you are looking at or not you just want them to know you are being responsible about your concerns in the future. i.e. I'm taking the pictures "just so I remember what they looked like".

Note that this is a money maker for the dealership (along with a PR nightmare if it gets into the public domain at all). Ford corporate will be covering pretty much all costs to this repair. Dealerships make significant $ on warranty work. Especially when the issue occur this quickly out of the gate. I doubt there will be many questions of any dealership requests. Also another reason to get your letter into Ford customer service as soon as possible.

You're intent is not to rock the boat, it's to get you a satisfactory vehicle. So no conjecturing about what you'll do in the future or what your going to do with the photos/info/etc. Do your best to keep it pleasant.

Old 02-09-22, 05:08 AM
B
Received 181 Votes on 161 Posts
I am sure the new car warranty period is longer than most shops would offer on a brand new replacement transmission. I would try to get free scheduled transmission service for the warranty period from the dealer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: