2000 Ford E-150 canister vent solenoid/circuit location?

Old 04-10-22, 02:42 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2000 Ford E-150 canister vent solenoid/circuit location?

Hey everyone,

I was recently handed down a 2000 Ford E150. The engine is throwing error code P1451 which seems to be an issue with the canister vent solenoid. So I bought a new one and decided to replace it while I was doing a tune-up (oil/oil filter, air, fuel filter). I crawled all under the van and I can't find the canister vent solenoid to save my life. I got a Haynes manual, but it's not listed there and I can't find any resources on YouTube or other sites. Does anyone know the location of this bloody thing is?!?

Old 04-10-22, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
My E van is a diesel so I can't help you directly but I did find this ............ Econoline locations video
Might also be helpful...... purge vent discussion video

jaxongamer voted this post useful.
Old 04-11-22, 09:43 AM
J
@PJmax, this is incredibly helpful! If nothing else, it gives me a place to start. I made a post in another forum as well and I am just waiting to get a reply on it. Once I do, I will post the solution here so that future DIYers can find a solution. Given the age of this model and the availability of the part, I found it interesting that there are no better resources as to its location.

Old 04-11-22, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
I have the diesel service manuals so my van doesn't use it

Old 04-12-22, 10:16 AM
Hey Jaxongamer, Here are some tests for your CEL. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Check the resistance of the CAN V solenoid. Should be around 48-65 ohms.

Check for voltage on the violet/white wire at the CANV Key on engine off. You will want to back probe with the connector pluged in. If you have Voltage there repeat the same test at the PCM PIN 67.
Of course with no voltage this test will tell you the integrity of the circuit.
This is a PCM grounded when the system is activating the solenoid.

DS.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-13-22 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Removed company name
Old 09-15-22, 10:15 AM
J
Ok, everyone! I figured out the location,completed the repair, and it has been a few months without the Check Engine light coming on! I am going to list the steps I took below so that someone can hopefully find this tutorial in the future, since there is very limited information online or in repair books about it:
  1. Drop the spare tire
  2. Craw under the van and just behind the rear driver wheel you will see this bad boy

3. You will need to take off this until, which is the canister filter. First, disconnect the electoral connector from the Solenoid (circled in red) and the air hose (circled in blue). Then directly behind the filter are two bolts (circled in yellow below) that you will need to remove to free the until.
  4. This is how your unit should look once removed (minus the hose). The Solenoid that you need to replace to correct the error is circled in red. It was as easy as popping off the old and putting on the new. Below is also a link to the Solenoid I bought on Amazon for the replacement:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  5. Reinstall the unit in the reverse of how it was removed
Now, my situation was a bit different because I also had a broken air hose and a severed connector. So I went to O'Reilly's and got a replacement for both. Replaced everything at once and BAM I have a happy van. I have included pics below of the hose/connector I replaced and the parts (with numbers) that I bought from O'Reilly's:

I hope this post helps someone in the future!!!

Old 09-15-22, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Good job. Thanks for posting the helpful information.
I changed the title so it will come up at the top of a search.

The threads here on DIY remain in a searchable archive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: