Truck battery

Old 04-28-22, 10:33 PM
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
Truck battery

I just came back from a 2 month vacation. Before I went on vacation, I have disconnected the battery cabels.

I have reconnected the battery. After 5 minutes of using a battery bank to jump the truck, it finally started the truck.

It will not start without the battery bank to jump it.

The battery is 3 years old. So is it time to replace this battery or is it just need a full charge?

In the past, when I come back from a three week vacation, I only need to reconnected the battery cables and it worked. Not sure why not this time.

Old 04-29-22, 02:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
Sadly batteries don't seem to last as long as they used to but before giving up on that one I'd check the electrolyte and give it a full charge. A load test will tell you more about the batteries condition but it's hard to get an accurate test on a discharged battery.

Old 04-29-22, 04:54 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 151 Votes on 124 Posts
I agree with MarkSr. With good maintenance, a good battery will last 5 - 6 years, but if it sits a lot, especially in cold weather, it may be time for a new one. But, I'd suggest charging it, then have it load tested. That'll give you the bottom answer right there.

Good luck......

Old 04-29-22, 05:20 AM
Received 952 Votes on 864 Posts
I store several tractor and vehicle batteries over the winter. The smaller ones come inside and get a full charge then sit in the basement.

The car batteries are a pain, one has to have a body panel removed so I've given up on removing but they get the positive cable removed and get the same full charge and that seems to be enough.

A battery tender would be good but I'm a bit leery of leaving chargers plugged in and connected to a battery, had one blow up a long time ago under similar conditions.

Old 04-29-22, 06:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,166 Votes on 1,124 Posts
I would put it on a trickle charge for a day or so. If that does not revitalize it, replace it. Not only are batteries lasting less than they used to, they're costing quite a bit more to purchase.

Old 04-29-22, 09:17 AM
Appreciate all of the replies gentlemen. I will update in a few days. Still jet lagged.

Old 04-29-22, 09:54 AM
BTW... Once the truck starts, it drives fine only until I turn off the engine, I can't started until with a battery bank jumper.

This is most likely the battery, not the starter, alternator, fuses or anything else right? I am pretty sure it is just the battery but just want to make sure because I will need to drive 2 hours tomorrow and will probably just get a new battery tonight.

Thanks

Old 04-29-22, 11:27 AM
Received 46 Votes on 40 Posts
It depends on how long you drove it last time. It could have been charging while running but the battery was too bad to keep the charge or the alternator was not charging. I would check to see if the battery voltage test while running was 13 1/2 to 14 1/2 volts. If you do not have a voltage tester most auto part stores will test it for free.
Just be sure you look at the meter with the part store guy to see for yourself what it reads. Not saying they would say it is bad just so they could sell you a new battery but you can never tell.
Even after buying a new battery tonight you still need to check to see it is charging. Depending on if you change it yourself or have it changed. If you have it changed they should be able to check to see if it is charging or not. I would want to see the meter when it is on the battery to see the voltage myself.

Old 04-29-22, 11:50 AM
D
Group Moderator
Now it sounds like you may need to clean the battery terminals. Clean the cable ends & the posts on the battery. Make sure your getting a good connection.
Make sure you have a good ground on both ends.
I also agree Badeyben that alternator is a good possibility too. Could be its not charging the battery as you drive the truck.
There is a possibility that your starter is dragging (going bad) also, but it wouldnt be first on my list to check. Several things here to consider.

Old 04-29-22, 12:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Most auto parts store will test both the battery and the charging system for free.

Old 04-30-22, 05:08 PM
UPDATE

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I drove the truck for two hours yesterday. Unfortunately, it still took a battery bank jumper to start each time after the two hour drive.

I then took the battery out of the truck and charged it on 10 amps for about 8 hours (indicator of fully charged) and 2 amps (trickle charge) for the next 10 hours. I put it back into the truck today and still nothing. So I had to use the battery bank jumper again but this time it started instantly and much easier.

Went to Costco to get a new battery. The truck is now running.

Personally, I don't like Costco car batteries "Interstate". They used to be 84 months, then 72 months, 60, 48 and now they only sell 36 months batteries.

Where can I buy a maintenance free battery that last up to 72 months?

Old 05-01-22, 03:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure you can. I had an 8yr [2yr free replacement and 6 yr prorated] battery in my truck. When it came time to replace it I bought the same battery but now it only had a 2 yr free replacement and nothing after the 2 yr warranty.

Old 05-01-22, 03:30 AM
What brand was/is it Mark? Thanks

Old 05-01-22, 06:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Duralast - autozone
forgot to add that the new battery cost almost twice as much

Old 05-01-22, 06:30 AM
Mark, I noticed that at AutoZone and O'Reilly, they don't list the years of the battery. Would you know what is AGM? Yes, they are getting more and more expensive by the years.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/b...-toyota-tacoma

Old 05-01-22, 06:49 AM
D
Group Moderator
they don't list the years of the battery
I noticed this yesterday when WRDIY asked where he could buy a 72 month battery. I Googled it. Couldn't find an answer because they didn't really give that. I looked at several sites and never got a real enough answer to even post it back for him.
NAPA was first up & they said in big bold letters that they had a 2 year free replacement & bounced all around the 72 month warranty. It seems like that's what they were saying, but never really said it.
So I moved to the next which was Auto Zone I think & the same thing. Nowhere does it say 72 month warranty. It talked about it's long warranty period, but I never could pin it down. It just kept referring to its 2 year free replacement.
Then I moved on to the next one which was O'Reily's I think & basically the same thing. I finally just quit researching.

In the end, the most promising lead I had was NAPA. You might try there my friend.

​​​​​​​Good luck.....

WRDIY voted this post useful.
Old 05-01-22, 06:53 AM
Thank You Dixie!

Old 05-01-22, 10:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
IF I understand correctly all of the AutoZone batteries have a 1 yr, 2yr and 3yr free replacement and none of them have a prorated warranty. This goes back a couple of yrs - last time I bought a battery.

Old 05-01-22, 10:31 AM
A
Received 65 Votes on 57 Posts
average battery life span is usually 4-5 years and then they have lost enough capacity at that point they will usually start to fail load testing which actually means they are less than 80 percent their original capacity, but they may still start your vehicle the cold cranking amps have often dropped off enough that the first few cold days is usually when you start to have trouble with the vehicle possibly not starting.
your battery drained itself while being disconnected could have had internal problems or may have just had a surface discharge if it was not clean a little dust is all it really takes to drain a battery in storage or in a vehicle disconnected.
looks like a couple of places still offer 72 month prorated warranties there may be more but looks like napa AAA and interstate mtp models but after 49 months it's like 25 percent off and 61 months it's 10 percent off replacement, still would not expect a battery to last 6 years but it may be worth it to you to have a warranty even though in most cases it may not be worth much after 5 years.

Last edited by alan73; 05-01-22 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-02-22, 02:09 PM
Received 164 Votes on 147 Posts
Would you know what is AGM?
Yep, sure do, they are the best of the best and the most expensive too. Absorbed Glass Mat batteries. They come standard in most high power use vehicles. My 2018 F-150 XLT has one because of all the electronics, bluetooth, etc and electric parking brake as well as electric power steering. It's a real electric power hog. Just replaced mine on January 2 of this year (battery was close to 4 years old) after a couple months of really strange things happening. Back in October I had a check engine light come on for no reason, had the code read and it said misfire on cylinder 1. I just didn't accept the fact that a engine with 30,000 miles needed a new spark plug and coil. That was just too hard to believe considering how smoothly it ran and the fact I was getting 22 to 24 mpg on the highway. Best and most powerful V-8 I have ever had. Finally reset the light by disconnecting and cleaning battery terminals. One morning I started the engine and had an immediate strange warning come up on low washer fluid, I didn't even know there was such a warning and washer fluid was full. About 3 times the electronic displays were out of order too. Easy fix each time, just annoying little electronic issues kept popping up. I was pretty sure I just needed a new battery and then on January 2 the temperature was in the single digits and the engine cranked very slowly before starting. I had a short run to make, but drove an extra few miles to fully warm the engine and made my stop. When I restarted the check engine light comes on again. I had already done my research and found that AGM batteries are hard to find. I knew there were 2 readily available within 15 miles, 1 at Advance Auto Parts and 1 at O'Reilly. I went to Advance and they didn't have it, the system was wrong. They found another AGM battery at a different Advance Auto Parts location so I went there, about a 30 minute drive away. Success! I got a new Diehard AGM battery installed by an orange haired girl and it only cost me $209.99 plus tax. I have never paid over $95 for a 3 year full replacement battery before, but had done enough research to know I had to have the AGM battery although there are batteries of the same physical size I could have bought for $95 of the lead acid type. After the new battery, all the annoying check engine light and other electronic issues went away. With the new Diehard battery the engine would spin over faster even when temperature was near 0 then it had ever before with the original battery even on a warm day. I have bought auto batteries exclusively at Sam's Club for at least the last 30 years and back in October when these issues started I started my research at Sam's website. They had 1 AGM battery in stock ($169.99), but over 200 miles away. None of the 6 clubs within 30 minutes of me had 1 in stock. Later in November and December Sam's didn't have any AGM batteries in stock at all, anywhere!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: