How does the brake mechanism work on boat trailer.

Old 06-04-22, 10:11 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How does the brake mechanism work on boat trailer.

Hi everyone.
I have a boat trailer that has a hydraulic brake mechanism with a reservoir.
Ive never open the reservoir cap to add fluid.
the mechanism is a square tube that slides in and out of the trailer frame.
but it is constantly sliding in and out while driving.
slides forward if I brake, slides backwards when I accelerate. When the trailer is parked, I can push the mechanism into the frame, not easily, but if I kick it, it will move.

It also has a lever that I can move up or down, but that doesnít seem to do anything.

And what kind of coupler lock do I need for it? Iíve just been using a wire to hold the lock down.

here are some photos.
Thank you.

Popular Reply

06-04-22, 12:41 PM
badeyeben
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
These are called surge brakes. When you stop the trailer slides forward activating the brake. When you move forward the trailer pulls back releasing the brake. It does not know when you are backing the trailer so it will apply the brakes unless you use the handle you have up in the first picture. That handle is the manual release for the brakes. When it is up the brakes no longer work. Also there should be a metal cable that hooks to the tow vehicle so if the trailer breaks away it activates the brakes.

Old 06-04-22, 10:20 AM
S
Iíve just read an article about this type of brake mechanism.
it mentions to add fluid and stick a screwdriver into a slot to purge are out of the system. But I see no place where I could put a screw driver.

Old 06-04-22, 12:41 PM
These are called surge brakes. When you stop the trailer slides forward activating the brake. When you move forward the trailer pulls back releasing the brake. It does not know when you are backing the trailer so it will apply the brakes unless you use the handle you have up in the first picture. That handle is the manual release for the brakes. When it is up the brakes no longer work. Also there should be a metal cable that hooks to the tow vehicle so if the trailer breaks away it activates the brakes.

CasualJoe, marksr voted this post useful.
Old 06-04-22, 01:38 PM
S
Thank you for explaining it.

There is no cable on it.
Where should the cable be attached?

The system must not be working properly because I am able to back the trailer up without moving the handle.

Old 06-05-22, 01:07 PM
Old 06-05-22, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
The system must not be working properly because I am able to back the trailer up without moving the handle.
If you are backing up on a flat surface or downhill the surge brakes will not activate enough to brake the trailer. You only need to trip the manual release if you are backing up a hill or over an obstacle like a curb like you may find on a driveway approach.

Old 06-07-22, 11:43 AM
S
ďIf you are backing up on a flat surface or downhill the surge brakes will not activate enough to brake the trailer. You only need to trip the manual release if you are backing up a hill or over an obstacle like a curb like you may find on a driveway approach.Ē

Thanks for the info.
Iíve never backed it up a steep hill.

If I hook the trailer up to the truck with the brake lever down and give it some quick gas, will it be enough force to engage the brake system and lock up the wheels?

That seems like the only way to test it.

Old 06-07-22, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
If I hook the trailer up to the truck with the brake lever down and give it some quick gas, will it be enough force to engage the brake system and lock up the wheels?
Driving forward? No. Driving backward? Maybe. I would find a steep hill and try to back up it. I don't know if the breaks would lock up. They might just cause resistance.

Old 06-07-22, 06:27 PM
S
Driving forward? No. Driving backward? Maybe. I would find a steep hill and try to back up it. I don't know if the breaks would lock up. They might just cause resistance
yes, I meant if I give it gas in reverse to mimic hard forward braking, would the brakes work.
I will try it out and also look for a steep hill.

would you know if the lever is the one used to bleed the brakes? Or where the safety cable that was mentioned earlier would go?

​​​​​​​thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: