How do I seat these parking brake cable fasteners?

Old 06-05-22, 10:59 AM
B
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
How do I seat these parking brake cable fasteners?

I'm wrapping up this big rear axle and brake drum project I've been talking about. But how do I work with these parking brake cable fasteners? I can't get these to seat in the holes
In the photos, notice the tangs....tabs......whatever these are. I tried tapping these in.

The other ends of the cables are already secured to the parking brake levers inside the drums.

So I have to seat the parking brake cables outside both brake drums and at the tension limiter outside the frame. (I have to hook up a new cable under the frame...where the remains of the old cable is shown in the photo.

Old 06-05-22, 11:53 AM
Received 950 Votes on 862 Posts
I can't get these to seat in the holes
As you have noted they are a simple spring clip but if the hole diameter or metal thickness is not right they wont insert and fasten correctly.

Old 06-05-22, 12:38 PM
B
Here we go again. It's just one curve ball after another with this project.
You're right. The parking brake cable hole on this new backing plate is about 1/8 inch less in diameter than the old backing plate.

But here is the thing. Even though I can't push it through the hole, it's a perfect fit with the parking brake lever hook inside the drum, and it matches the 1992 tension limiter on the frame.
But the parking brake cable for the model year range of this new backing plate.....will not fit the 1992 parking brake assembly underneath on the frame.

So it seems like this new cable is the best choice. As long as it is hooked up at both ends.....which should not be a problem...........will the parking brake still engage and disengage?

If I'm correct, that whole outer jacket does not move when the parking brake is engaged.....just the inner cable

Old 06-05-22, 01:19 PM
Received 950 Votes on 862 Posts
If I'm correct, that whole outer jacket does not move when the parking brake is engaged.....just the inner cable
yep

Welcome to the world of aftermarket parts, generation after generation of parts just gets further from the original fit/function. But that is what makes owning an older vehicle fun, remember you could lease new for $4k down and $300 a month but a few years later you have nothing!

Old 06-05-22, 01:42 PM
B
Well, Even though It doesn't fit, I was able to bang it partway into the hole, and now I can't pull it out. So it would seem that it is seated for now

Old 06-06-22, 02:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
It's not uncommon to have to slightly modify some aftermarket parts. I might have took a file and slightly enlarged the opening so it would fit.

Old 06-06-22, 04:21 PM
B
I might have to follow up with this next weekend.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: