Leaking fuel pressure regulator vacuum line

Old 07-14-22, 05:25 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Leaking fuel pressure regulator vacuum line

Finished patching my rusted rotting fuel lines on my 02 Silverado. Noticed that it still reeks of leaking gas. I finally found that the chipmucks had eaten the end off my fuel pressure regulator vacuum line. When the truck was running fuel was pumping out of the pressure regulator (the thing at the bottom of the vacuum line mounted on the fuel rail). Question...when I was driving was the flow from the regulator the same as at idle or did it pump more fuel out. I'm just wondering if this was losing a lot of fuel or a little. I have been getting 12 mpg for a long time. I used to get around 18 mpg.

Old 07-14-22, 11:07 PM
A
Received 64 Votes on 56 Posts
if there is fuel in the vacuum line the regulator is bad and you should change it out, it will cause lower mileage and hard starts at times.

Old 07-15-22, 08:00 PM
S
Since I replaced the vacuum line the raw gas smell is gone but now starting the engine frequently involves 5-10 seconds of cranking because of flooding. And when I shut the engine off it reeks of burned sooty gas from the exhaust. I don't see any drips yet from the exhaust or anywhere else and the truck runs as well as ever.

Old 07-15-22, 09:16 PM
A
that is correct it is dumping gas in the intake causing the engine to flood there should be no fuel on the vacuum side of the regulator when the regulator goes bad it starts leaking fuel.

Old 07-16-22, 08:38 AM
S
Ok, I'll replace it soon. Thanks.

Old 07-16-22, 12:10 PM
S
Question about regulator price...
Autozone wants $87, Oreillys wants $134, Ross Auto wants $104, Hank Graff wants $159. Walmart has one listed on their website (not a store item) for $11.43 https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-Pcs-Fue...5-7L/850448902 It looks exactly like whats on my truck. Can someone explain the price difference. A lower quality china copy can not account for a 90 percent difference (or so I think). If I can't find one locally for a reasonable price we all know I will have to order from Walmarts fly-by-night seller. What do you think?

Old 07-16-22, 01:55 PM
A
not sure I would take a chance on a no name brand fuel pressure regulator but if you get a part number and search for a brand name like delco or delphi or even standard you can likely find those at walmart or amazon also but it won't be 12 bucks probably around 50. so really up to you.
remember buying standard regulators from oriellys for around 40 bucks 20 years ago cause it was a common issue and replaced quite a few on the ls engines guess prices have doubled or tripled since then.

Old 07-17-22, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
You need to be carefull of items on the Walmart website.
Not sure if US Walmart is the same as ours but a food processor we were interested in because of the unbelievably low price was inexpensive because the ad was actually for a replacement bowl.
The description was bad and the reviews pointed out this error.

Old 07-17-22, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,955 Votes on 2,666 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator
I use Rock Auto for online pricing. They show from $49 to $72 based on brand.
Don't use this as an ordering link as I didn't know your engine size.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: