U-turn radius with trailer

Old 11-20-22, 07:24 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U-turn radius with trailer

Does a trailer increase U-turn radius? If I made a U-turn without a trailer, should I be able to make a U-turn with a trailer? Same truck and same location. The road is 3 lanes each way, and I start from the center turn lane, a typical 3.5 lane U-turn. The trailer is an open tilt bed trailer with a rental equipment. Thank you.

Old 11-21-22, 04:11 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
First, I dont know if I understand what you're asking but..

Does a trailer increase U-turn radius?
No.....

If I made a U-turn without a trailer, should I be able to make a U-turn with a trailer? Same truck and same location.
Yes....

Its not going to change the radius regarding the truck itself, which is what I understand your question is. However, The trailer is going to have a shorter radius than the truck though. So, although it doesn't change the radius of the truck, your trailer will turn shorter or inside the radius of the truck.
If the trailer turning shorter will affect your turn, like going in the grass or possible hitting a road sign, that will be your biggest, possibly only concern.
How much the trailer "off tracks" will depend on its length. A shorter trailer wont off track as much as a long trailer. The longer it is, the more its going to off track.... or turn shorter (will go into the grass more).
You just need to make a wider turn with your truck to adjust for the off tracking (shorter turn) of the trailer.

Old 11-21-22, 04:29 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
After re-reading your post.... I think I did misunderstand your question.

I think the last sentence in my previous post will actually answer your question. So, now if I understand what you're asking... yes it will indeed change the radius of the truck because you will need to compensate for the trailer "off track".
So yes, you will need a little more room but... again, depending on the length of the trailer, there will be little change in radius. Typically, on a hwy, especially on 3 lane (each way) hwy, you should be able to make your U-turn without any issues.

Old 11-21-22, 05:16 AM
B
Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts
When turning a corner with a truck towing a trailer, the maximum inside radius is when the truck's rear bumper comes in contact with the front of the trailer or the truck's steering box is at the end of its travel. Therefore the width of the trailer, it's location relative to the hitch ball and the location of the trailer axle relative to the hitch ball all affect the maximum radius when not limited by the steering box.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-21-22, 07:54 AM
Received 620 Likes on 553 Posts
In reference to BB post above, many a car/camper have been damaged by too sharp a turn. Especially while trying backup into a parking spot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: