Snow Plow for Dodge Ram

Old 12-14-22, 04:23 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Snow Plow for Dodge Ram

I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd that sits around a lot. I have a 77 Simplicity Landlord 10HP Kohler that gets worked over real hard in the winter here in ohio doing my driveway pushing a 5' wide manual lift plow.doing my driveway and a few widows and divorcees in my neighborhood. I do not have the need for an 8' monster plow like the pros use, but don;t know enough about them to buy one that will work for me without breaking the bank. DR makes one in the right price range but it doesn't appear to have a lift mechanism from the truck seat. I do not have a front receiver hitch like I have in the back. Do those usually come with a plow, or do I have to get one from Dodge? Does anyone out there have one they like for minimal plowing like I describe?

Old 12-15-22, 03:48 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Check your owners manual. My 2005 manual states the Ram 1500 should not be used for plowing snow because structure damage can occur.

Old 12-16-22, 11:19 AM
W
I will do that Bob. If the manual says not to do that, so much for "Built Ram Tough" Huh? Lets hope they beefed them up between 2005 and 2012. Even with a weather enclosure, It still gets cold as hell pushing snow with the Simplicity lol

Old 12-17-22, 05:15 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
A snow plow whose width is less than the vehicle's track width will result in loss of traction in my opinion.

Old 12-17-22, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
There are a few light duty snow plows that are designed for 1/2-ton pickups. DR is one, Sno-way is another: https://www.snoway.com/plows/26r-series/ I'm pretty sure there are more. I searched "1/2 ton pickup snow plow" I'm sure they all have mounting options to whatever truck you have. Some may not have hydraulic lift or angle capabilities but will lift the plow using a electric winch.

Plowing is hard on any truck, especially when hitting objects buried in the snow.

Old 12-17-22, 09:01 AM
W
I agree with Bob about the loss of traction with a smaller plow. (than the width of the truck) I probably said something to that effect but didn't mean it that way lol. i have been looking at the plows offered up by Google searches as well, Today is the first snow we had all winter, and it didn't even stick to the drive. Practically speaking a plow will be more of a toy, and probably in the way more than anything lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: