2002 Chevy Silverado stalled, had it towed home

Old 05-27-23, 10:36 AM
S
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
2002 Chevy Silverado stalled, had it towed home

Flatbedded to be specific. I don't drive the truck often, it always ran and started fine, even in winter after not running for a few weeks. I drove about 10 miles, it stalled and would not restart. It turns over, installed a new battery last fall. I know it could be many things, and I have to do a lot of diagnosis. I borrowed 2 different scanners, both said 0 Codes, Should the engine be turning over when pressing 'Read' on the scanner?

With a 191k miles I'd think a bad fuel pump would be likely, and I don't know if I'll get it fixed if that is the case, Estimates I've seen were $1,000+. I've also heard the ring around the fuel pump that needs to be removed is often stuck due to rust in the area where I live. Just my luck I could see having to get a new or replacement tank.

But due to what I've found in the last week, I'm suspecting a bad fuel pump a little less. Three times so far, the truck started when I first tried it, It ran for about 20 seconds, rpms went down, up then stalled and won't restart. I don't think it's a fuel filter, I had new fuel lines installed in August 2021, which of course included a new filter. I'm asking if, that it tends to start (not always) and runs briefly after not being or attempting to be started for a few days, could it still be a bad fuel pump? I've seen if when the gauge reads empty and/or the low fuel light is on, that tends to indicate a bad fuel pump. The gauge reads 1/4 of a tank and no low fuel light.

Old 05-27-23, 12:55 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 112 Upvotes on 97 Posts
check fuel pressure, check for spark good chance it may be a bad pump.

Old 05-27-23, 01:05 PM
S
When you have older vehicle like me, I should have diagnostic tools on hand, but I don't - such as a pressure gauge. I know I could still check for spark. Like you said - good chance it is a bad pump.

Old 05-27-23, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
If it's quiet..... turn the key to ignition on. You should hear the pump in the tank run for a few seconds.
Do you hear that ?

Easy to check for fuel pressure in fuel rail.
Turn key on and off for a few seconds..... several times.
Shown on the passenger side. It's a metal tube that connects the fuel injectors together.
Remove the cap and there is a schrader valve fitting that you can push in to test for fuel.
If no fuel.... good chance of bad pump.

stevek66 voted this post useful.
Old 05-27-23, 02:14 PM
S
I did try to listen previously - didn't hear anything. Will try again tomorrow, that seems to be when it starts, after being idle for about 24 hours.

I've heard the schrader valve mentioned - but didn't realize there was a fitting to test for fuel.
Thanks for the tips.

Old 05-27-23, 03:38 PM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Won;t hurt to add gas to the tank in case gauge is not reading correctly.

Old 05-27-23, 03:51 PM
S
I was considering that, based on how far I went and fuel used the gauge seems to be fine, but can't rule it out.

Old 05-28-23, 10:13 AM
S
Shown on the passenger side. It's a metal tube that connects the fuel injectors together.
Remove the cap and there is a schrader valve fitting that you can push in to test for fuel.
If no fuel.... good chance of bad pump.
I found the valve, good description/location. Took the cap off, pressed the valve, there was fuel.
I really didn't expect that. Now maybe something electrical.

Old 05-28-23, 10:36 AM
A
pressing in on the shrader valve really doesn't tell you anything if you hear the pump running for a couple of seconds when you turn the key on would imagine there is some pressure in the fuel rail but it may not be enough to really start or run the engine, surging is a common symptom of low fuel pressure when there is enough pressure for it to start but not run well so you really need to measure pressure with a gauge to see if you have 40 psi or a much lower pressure.

Old 05-28-23, 10:49 AM
S
Ok - so still can't rule out the fuel pump.

Old 05-28-23, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
It appears that fuel pressure gauges are not that expensive: https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-p...8aAkC5EALw_wcB

Old 05-28-23, 11:31 AM
S
Oh wow, I guess not, thanks!

Old 05-28-23, 12:25 PM
A
fuel injected pressure gauges often go to 80-100 psi on the gauge so there a little more expensive, but you may see if any parts store rent them out as a tool rental.

Old 05-29-23, 08:08 AM
S
Turn key on and off for a few seconds..... several times.
Definitely a pattern there - this morning turning the truck on first thing, started, ran for about 7 seconds, stalled. Just turning the key back on, it won't start, But - if I cycle the key on/off to where the dash a red battery light turns on, it will start and run for about 5 seconds. Did that 3 times. For the brief time it does run, it's smooth as usual, I can press the accelerator and RPMs rise accordingly like there's nothing wrong.

​​​​​​​fuel injected pressure gauges often go to 80-100 psi on the gauge so there a little more expensive, but you may see if any parts store rent them out as a tool rental.
Ok - renting is a good option

Old 05-30-23, 03:19 PM
S
Now I know what the fuel pump should sound like - my neighbor stopped by with his 2005 Silverado, Mine is silent, so it does seem to be the fuel pump, The associate fuse's continuity checked good last week. When starting fluid was sprayed into the throttle body, the truck did start and ran (roughly) for a couple seconds.

Old 06-17-23, 07:15 AM
S
A new fuel pump was installed. There was a check engine light - ran idling for about 15 minutes. 20 minutes later started it again - no check engine light. Same with yesterday, drove it around the block, ran fine.

But - there's a noise from the fuel pump, more specifically from the far right line. A vibration can be felt in just that one. Everything is tight. Sounds kind of like a liquid and air type noise. Don't know if that's normal. The engine is smooth as it always has been. Today will determine how to cover the hole in the bed (went that route as the truck is not my daily driver). Will make the cover removable of course just in case.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: