Brake controller

Old 02-24-24, 07:04 AM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Brake controller

New vehicle and looking for a better brake controller than what I had on my last vehicle.It was a "curt venturer" and either had a release delay or the sensitivity adjustment was garbage. Every time I would let off the brake I would be held back by the trailer for about 1 sec but it was long enough that the car would jerk every time. I would like that not to happen now. So I either need a brake controller that doesnt engage if the pedal is just slightly depressed or has more precise sensitivity so that it can tell when I actually need trailer brakes to engage. Is this a thing? I tried to google it but its not the same as hearing someones opinion.

Old 02-24-24, 09:55 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 119 Upvotes on 103 Posts
have you ruled out a brake issue with the trailer first ?

Old 02-24-24, 04:39 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 258 Upvotes on 206 Posts
Generally, that's just the way electric brakes work IMO.

Let me pass along some trailer brake etiquette, that I learned with the first trailer I owned with electric brakes.
Trailer brakes aren't supposed to be set to stop the trailer. The idea is to set the trailer brakes to "assist" the towing vehicle.
I used to set mine where it would hold the trailer when my vehicle was in drive without acceleration.... idling.
The trailer tires aren't supposed to slide. Actually, trailer brakes aren't designed strong enough to slide the trailer tires. Not like a vehicle brake.

IMO, if its jerking your car, the trailer brakes are set wayyyy to high. You should only notice a light drag if you notice anything at all.

If the trailer brakes are stopping the trailer, its going to wear the brakes much faster. I also learned, it's expensive to have the electric trailer brakes replaced.

Again, I am no expert on this but, it's my opinion.

Last edited by Dixie2012; 02-25-24 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-24-24, 07:19 PM
H
We set the controller how general RV told us. Sitting in drive with no acceleration and being held back. The trailer is a 3000 lb rpod and we are the first owners and it's done it since day one. So i always assumed it was the controller. I honestly didn't even think we needed them but I guess it's a law?

Old 02-25-24, 05:20 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 258 Upvotes on 206 Posts
I edited my post to remove this:
"I learned that was an incorrect setting. The trailer brakes aren't supposed to hold the vehicle/trailer."
Not sure where my mind was when I wrote that. The rest is correct in my opinion.

Also, I'm quite sure the trailer dealer knows better than me to sell you the right equipment & setting. I'm certainly not saying it isn't a bad controller. I just wanted to point out that it could have been set too high. From your post, it appeared it could have been the issue. Maybe someone else can give you some better advice on the issue. Good luck.

Yes, if the trailer is equipped with brakes, they have to be working.

Old 02-25-24, 06:50 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 119 Upvotes on 103 Posts
would just follow the controller manufacturers recommendations on adjustment on whatever you buy and if you continue to have issues I would look at the brakes the delay seems excessive unless you was riding the brake pedal a proportional controller may work better for you.

Old 03-11-24, 02:57 PM
H
I went with a Redarc proportional brake controller. It has an onboard accelerometer so it knows exactly how much brake force to apply whereas my last controller was "time delay" so after a set amount of time it applied full brakes no matter the speed and thats where my issue was. Much better now with the Redarc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: