Does water pump bolt directly into front engine cover and not block?

Old 06-18-24, 01:21 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Does water pump bolt directly into front engine cover and not block?

92 Ford Ranger XLT with 2.9 V6.
When I installed a water pump in 2018 one of the mounting bolt holes had stripped threads. I thread tapped from 6mm to 5/16-24 which didn't work The bolt never tightened down after that and there has always been some weepage which was never a problem. Now it is developing into a dripping leak from either the water pump seal or gasket.

I don't know if that stripped bolt hole can ever be fixed. I must have created a 'stepped diameter' bolt hole where the top part of the hole is wider than the original smaller diameter hole. So the wider bolt can't screw into the original hole deeper down. In the photo below, you can see the silvery water pump (with the blue gasket sealant bolt) on top of another thick metallic layer. Then behind that, there appears to be the rust colored engine block with a freeze plug in the background.

Am I correct in assuming my water pump bolts directly into the front engine cover ONLY and NOT the engine block? I just want to come up with a plan to deal with that stripped bolt hole because I'll have to replace that water pump soon.

Old 06-18-24, 02:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
I had a high incidence of leaks in all my Ford vans.
My 99 E-350 van 7.3L diesel went thru 4-5 water pumps. Two thermostat covers.
No so when I was a Chevy man.

I have stripped bolts in the past. I use heli coils. (inserts)

Old 06-18-24, 02:52 PM
B
Mainly, I wanted to know if the bolts go into the front cover only. If so, worse case scenario would be to replace the front engine cover if it gave me fresh new bolt holes.

Old 06-18-24, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
I would doubt all the bolts are threaded into the cover.
I can envision that some are longer bolts and go thru cover into the block.
Hard to tell from the service manual.
You'd need a list of bolts and sizes to see how many were long. (thru cover into block)

Old 06-18-24, 04:33 PM
B
I forgot. I keep some repair records on my home PC. When I did the water pump replacement in 2018, I recorded all the water pump bolts as M6-1.0 x 25mm. These bolts are all about an inch long. Although I am not certain, it would seem that all bolts mount into the front cover and terminate well before the engine block. The front cover appears to be 2 inches thick at the bolt holes. Thanks for the diagram.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: