ford 6.2 plugs

Old 06-29-24, 07:45 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ford 6.2 plugs

Hi Guys
I recently purchased plugs for my 15 350 when i took one of the old ones out i noticed that the new ones are about 1/2 in shorter
Some places say they are the wrong ones some say right ones

They are sp 479
I didnt put them in after looking around there are longer ones

Will they fit?

Old 06-29-24, 09:41 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 26 Upvotes on 21 Posts
I'm assuming the ones you pulled out are OEM, so I would match them. The way Ford designed the heads on some of their engines a shorter plug may not even reach into the cylinder which would case all sorts of problems. If in doubt go to a Ford dealer and get plugs from them. Would cost more, but good change you're getting the right plug.

Old 06-30-24, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
Easy to check but hard to comment when the full vehicle info was not posted.

Using...... 2015 Ford F-350 with 6.2L engine shows......
MOTORCRAFT SP526X Platinum: Gap: .044; Requires 2 plugs per cylinder

F-350 SD would probably be different.

Spark Plug Removal and Replacement
Ford’s 6.2-liter engine uses 16 spark plugs, two per cylinder. This is to better control the spark and ignition, as well as better fuel economy, performance, and emissions. However, Ford’s service manual is very specific about the spark plug removal and replacement method. If done improperly, it can lead to catastrophic engine failure or an engine maligned with issues from then on.

Common Repair Costs
Spark plug replacement only costs a DIYer their time and the price of spark plugs, which is roughly $50-$100 depending on the plugs used. However, if you screw up the process, you could internally damage the engine, and that is going to get pricey fast.

Credit: TheDrive(dot)com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: