Water Heater install

Old 07-25-02, 10:15 AM
jeherrin
Visiting Guest
Question Water Heater install

Well, Unfortunatly that time has come. I must install a new water heater because mine is doing a good impresination of a water fountain. Now, it's a gas heater and I'm fairly sure of how to hook up the pipes and vent. But that darn gas line is something I never touched before. It has what appears to be a valve on it of some sort, looks like a metal knob that you can turn.
Anyone got any idea if that works like a on/off switch or does it work like a valve and slowly shut off the gas. Last thing I wanna do is try to turn it too much and break the darn thing.

Also any advice on things to watch for while installing the heater would be great. I wish they had a section for in on the webpages.

Thanks in advance.

-Jim

Old 07-25-02, 04:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need to check with a local plumbing inspector if you can legally change out a water heater. It's kind of silly that anyone can sell you one, but you can not legally install them in many parts of the country.

That being said, that valve with the knob on it will turn if you use a 6" cresant wrench. Turn the knob so it is at a 90 degree angle on the pipe, (some have stops built in, others do not).
Put new heater in like old one. Place a shut off valve only, ONLY, on the cold water inlet side. Use a soap solution on all gas connections after you pressurize the gas line but before you light a match.

Have fun, take your time, let us know how it turns out...

Old 07-26-02, 05:30 AM
jeherrin
Visiting Guest
Looks like a success, however I found out the hard way that you should treat old solder joints on copper pipe with kid gloves... I ended up resolding like 3-4 of them

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: