kitchen sink/sprayer vacuum?

Old 07-27-02, 03:37 AM
dfranco
Visiting Guest
kitchen sink/sprayer vacuum?

I just moved into an apartment. The former tenants told me not to use the kitchen sink sprayer. Said if I do, water won't come out of the faucet for a couple days. Haven't tested this, because I like the sink working.
I was also told that this happened recently when they had a guest, and she worked on it for several hours and got the water to return to the faucet. Not quite sure how. She said it was some type of a vacuum...
Any ideas on the cause of/cure for this problem? I'd sure appreciate some help. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-02, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just change out the diverter. Fairly simple, straight forward procedure.

Tell us about what type of faucet you have and someone will walk you through it. Do you have a one handled faucet, maybe Delta or Moen? 2 handle, look at the hot & cold inserts, will have something like Gerber or maybe nothing.

Anyway, tell us what kind and we can start.

Old 07-27-02, 11:40 AM
dfranco
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your fast response!
It's a one-handled faucet. Peerless.

Old 07-27-02, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peerless is just another brand of Delta.

Search the site here for delta repairs. Old Guy does this thing with pictures in his posting that shows all the little goodies inside the faucet.

You basically turn off the water, pull the handle assembly, remove the ball assembly, remove the rubber seats and springs under them, pull the spout off the valve asswmbly (this is where the diverter is) and pull out the diverter.
Take old parts to hardware store and buy new rebuild kit. In stall everything in reverse order.

Tips to remember...
Look at springs before you remove them. Some are conical, some are straight springs. Age of faucet depends on which spring to use.

If you have a problem taking off the handle because little hex head set screw is just mineral deposited in place and you just can't break it loose, or you make it round trying to loosen it. Use a torch to heat the assembly up to where it starts to smoke (Serious about this) You can then remove the handle by unscrewing the entire assembly. There is a nylon bushing under the handle, above the ball for the water tight connection. Heating this makes it very loose and pliable. You can replace all these parts for just a few dollars.

Hope this helps and if have problems, just give us a holler and someone will answer.