dishwasher overflow valve keeps on overflowing

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-02, 02:45 PM
michalchik
Visiting Guest
dishwasher overflow valve keeps on overflowing

Hi,

Every time I run my dishwasher the overflow valve on the kitchen sink gushes water. I have made a preliminary attempt to clear any clog by snaking as much pipe as I could with a stiff wire. Unfortunately I haven't found any signs of a clog and the problem hasn't improved. I am now installing a new dishwasher and want to clear this problem before I put it in.

Is this problem from a clog? Where should I look for the problem?

direct replies appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-02, 04:02 PM
jackman1
Visiting Guest
Since your installing a new dishwasher your should replace the air gap and drain hose also, this is where the problem is. This will solve your problem. Sometimes using a stiff wire will not get it done.

Old 07-31-02, 04:29 PM
michalchik
Visiting Guest
Where do I find the "airgap" and can I expect these parts to come with the new dishwasher.

Old 07-31-02, 04:42 PM
jackman1
Visiting Guest
What you call the overflow valve and the airgap are one and the same. It's the device that is located next to the faucet or mounted on the countertop with a silver cap on it. The drain hose hooks directly to the disposal unit (if you have one )or it tied in with the drain. Both parts are sold separately.

Old 08-01-02, 06:16 AM
Cool

You don't need an airgap if you loop the drain hose up over the top of the dishwasher (and secure it) like one of these illustrations:

We've had our dishwashers hooked up like this for over 25 years, and we've never had an airgap. Works fine.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 08-01-02, 06:23 PM
UPC now requires airgaps on all dishwashers. They are a potential source of cross contamination. Also if the kitchen sink is clogged and filled above the top of that loop the dishwasher will overflow onto the floor with the dirty sink water.

I think that I was the one that recommended the stiff wire fix. I see spray out of the top of the airgap sometimes when the outlet hose from the airgap to the garbage disposal (or tailpiece inlet) has so much crap in it that water cannot escape fast enough. I find it easiest to ream out the junk inside of the hose by removing the silver cap of the air gap, uscrewing the top portion of the air gap, and cleaning the outlet pipe with the wire.

If your kitchen sink drain line is partially clogged then this same scenario will also happen. Does your kitchen sink partially fill with water during the dishwasher rinse cycle? This is easy to check if you have a garbage disposal. Put the dishwasher on rinse and as the water flows out (when the water sprays) and look down the thoat of the disposal with a flashlight. If the water level rises too much then the water cant get out of the way fast enough to keep up with the feed coming from your dishwasher, thereby the water takes the next easiest way out. It comes out the airgap.

Old 08-01-02, 08:45 PM
Cool

Hey Pauly!
I learn something new every day. (Of course, I'm not a pro plumber.)
I didn't know that air gaps were required everywhere now.???
I don't have one, and I've never needed one, but here is one michalchik:

Good Luck!
Mike

Old 08-01-02, 09:56 PM
michalchik
Visiting Guest
More Airgap weirdness

You know I think I have a weird problem with the airgap. There is a pipe that comes up the middle of it and squirts againt the silver cap. Presumable the water is supposed to drain down the sides, but the pipe coming off the sides it not clogged. I can run water down it quickly and it drains just fine. I also can cover the airvents of the gap with my hand and the water goes through. with forcing its way out anywhere else. As near as I figure it, somehow that central pipe is just to high up and the water is splashing out when it hits the inside of the cap.

Should I just redirect the flow so that it goes down the outside pipe?

Old 08-02-02, 12:30 PM
Cool

Most new dishwashers come with built-in drain check valves now to prevent cross contamination, I'm told.
If it were me, I would do away with the airgap, do the loop and keep the sink drain unclogged.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 08-02-02, 07:07 PM
or replace the airgap. The are only about $5 at the hardware store. You probably have two different diameter hoses under you sink now and it will be quicker to replace the airgap rather than run new tube from the D/W to the sink....assuming that all of the other factors we have talked about have been addressed.

Old 08-02-02, 07:52 PM
michalchik
Visiting Guest
but is my airgap even clogged

Like I said the outside pipe drains into the garbage disposal as quickly as I can run water into it. I think the problem is that the center pipe is too high and it is just splashing out the vents in the airgap cap.

Couldn't I just solve the problem by redirecting the flow of water so it doesn't squirt out the caps vent slots.

Old 08-03-02, 09:11 AM
maybe the existing air gap is defective, cracked, damaged, calcified....I still think that if you replace the air gap your problem would disapear.

Old 08-03-02, 04:36 PM
michalchik
Visiting Guest
how might that cause my overflow problem?

Old 08-03-02, 04:50 PM
by design the airgap is supposed to channel water back down the drain tube. Without seeing it and assuming all the other things we have said, I would say that your existing airgap must be somehow defective.

Old 01-07-12, 03:13 PM
dishwasher air gap

thankyou for the info hate to call maintainance easy fix just took the top piece off and cleaned out fortunately hose not clogged

Old 05-27-12, 02:57 PM
dishwasher overflow cap overflowing -

my problem had nothing to do with the hoses. I knew it had to be simple and stemming from the new garbage disposal a friend installed the week before. I thought it was overflowing but then realized the dishwasher was actually draining through the cap. after typing this is, I found the answer ! Disposals are made with a "stopper" for people without a dishwasher. Pull the hose from the disposal to the overflow and stick your finger in there (disconnect power of course!) . If it hits something its the stopper. Use a screwdriver and a hammer to remove. So glad I figured this out as many posts talked about having plumbers out and they couldn't figure it out either but still cost $300.

Closed Thread