can't get drains cleared

Old 08-01-02, 12:30 PM
patf
Visiting Guest
Question can't get drains cleared

We have already augered the soil pipes, removed the toilet and gone into the main sewer pipe and removed the plug from the main sewer pipe and augered that too. Any or all of these work for a few days and then the drains stop flowing again, or worse yet, the toilet backs up into the bathtub - the washer is in the bathroom and draining that takes watching the water rise in the toilet and then stopping the washer until the water level drops. It sounds like the pipes are siphoning.
I am ready to dig up the main sewer line and need to know how deep to dig, as I do not know where it is.
Can anyone tell me how deep to look for the lines or even offer a less strenuous means of trouble shooting?
thanks for your time.

Old 08-01-02, 12:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Have you checked the vent pipe(s) on the roof for birdnest, leaves and debris?
If there is anything in them, clean out what you can by hand, and flush the vent pipe with a water hose sprayer.
By "auger" do you mean with a plumber's snake from one end to the other?
Or do you mean with a "roto-rooter" type machine?
If you tried a long plumber's snake that would reach from your clean-out plug all the way to the street and it is still clogged, your problem may be roots.
Hairlike rootballs can get into sectional drainpipe, such as cast iron or terra cotta, and a snake will just punch right through it, offering only temporary relief. They have to be "roto-rootered" out.
Sewer pipes can be very deep in order to gravity flow to a street main, and you would probably need a backhoe to dig it out.
The next move may be to hire a drain cleaning company or plumber with a video camera that can determine exactly what your problem is (roots, clog, line break, etc.).
If it is roots, "roto-rootering" them out will only last about 1.5-2 years, and you'll have to do it again. If roots are the problem, replacing the line with a solid white PVC or black ABS plastic line (if allowed in your jurisdiction) would be the only permanent solution.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 08-01-02, 01:03 PM
patf
Visiting Guest
We have checked all 4 vent pipes and narrowed it down to one possible. The "auger" I mentioned in the initial post is a 50 ft drain snake with a coil on the end.
The original piping in the system was terra cotta, but my father-in-law did extensive work and addition to the property 15 years ago. The terra cotta is clear and we can see where the PVC begins. Now I'm truly baffled - If roots cannot penetrate the PVC, what other problems might we be looking at?
Is there a special water hose sprayer for flushing the vent pipes?
Thanks again for your time.

Old 08-01-02, 01:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

No special sprayer, just a regular water hose nozzle.
If you've snaked the line for almost 50', does that go all the way to the street main line?
If not, the clog is beyond the 50'.
You may need to rent a 100' heavy duty plumber's snake, and really run it until it goes all the way to the street, or you break up the clog. (Must not be roots if all has been replaced with PVC.)
Good luck!
Mike

Old 08-01-02, 01:53 PM
patf
Visiting Guest
Mike,
Thanks for the rapid response. We tried the hose trick and all seems to be working well for now. Will get back to you if this turns out to be another temporay breakthrough. You are a lifesaver! Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: