Galvanized piping & a toilit Question.

Old 08-05-02, 01:07 PM
Don Pell
Visiting Guest
Galvanized piping & a toilit Question.

Hi new to this board and I must say it is great.My wife and I just bought our first home We live in Canada.I am very handy but some what poor but happy.This home was built in 1943 and has galvanized piping witch flows great and drains great better than the home witch we are in now that has copper and is about 30 years old.My Q is should I replace it the with copper or is this galvanized ok for now.The best thing is the basement is unfinished so the job would be easy to do .My next Q.The toilit is the old fashion wall mounted tank type.We would like to put in a new one now my problim i think,there has been ceramic tile installed up to the toilit with about 1/4 inch of grout around it so the toilit is lower the the tile.When it remove it i am sure the grout will break no big deal but When we get a new unit will it sit flush with the tile or sit back were the old one was.Can anyone shead some light on thease two jobe i need to think about.ps i am sure to become a reguler here LOL.many Thanks for taking the time to read this.Have a nice day

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-02, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

"Galvanized Pipe" - If it is galvanized drain pipe, or cast iron drain pipe that you're calling galvanized, you should be o.k. for a long time.
If it is galvanized supply pipe, that will continue to scale up inside restricting water flow, until it eventually plugs up. The only solution is to completely replace it.

Toilet flanges should sit flush on top of the finished floor with only the thickness of the flange above the floor level.
It sounds like this is the case, but you won't know for sure until you remove the old toilet.
The new toilet should be leveled with bevel shims made for the purpose, if necessary, and bolted to the flange, which should be bolted to the floor.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 08-05-02, 01:30 PM
Don Pell
Visiting Guest
Hey thanks Mike.There is galvanized used for supply.And after having a good look at the base of the toilet i am pretty sure they left it flush with the floor then installed the tile up to it.If the new toilet sits on the tile witch would be a bonus then what type of gasget will i need one with a collar or can i add 2 wax seals.my guess is the toilet is about 1/4 inch below the tile hight.Thanks again Mike.

Old 08-05-02, 01:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

You can get a thicker wax ring, or if the gap is high enough, you can double up two wax rings. I use the kind with a plastic sleeve for the top one, if I have to double them up.
As far as the galvanized supply pipes, if they aint broke, don't fix them. When you start experiencing water flow restrictions, then you can replace them.
Start with the galvanized nearest the fixtures, if you do it piecemeal. That's where they start tending to clog up first.
You need to use di-electric unions between the copper and galvanized.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 08-05-02, 03:04 PM
Don Pell
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike, you just gave us great news.

Old 08-07-02, 06:40 PM
I am of the philosophy of "before you remodel a room or finish the basement, upgrade everything behind that wall".

Be careful with those two piece wall mount toilets. You move one thing, the thing next to it breaks.

and as the proud owner of a "fixer upper", my four words of wisdom to you.

"PICK YOUR BATTLES WISELY!"

Old 08-08-02, 01:11 PM
Don Pell
Visiting Guest
well said I will keep thoes 4 words in mind.