Intalling a toilet flange over a cement subfloor

Old 08-05-02, 09:58 PM
DaveS
Visiting Guest
Intalling a toilet flange over a cement subfloor

I installed hardwood floors in my powder room. I had no problem removing the toilet. I did, however have a problem putting it back in. The problem is the flange seems to have seperated from the floor. It does not look like it was screwed into the floor. The subfloor is cement. What it looks like is that the PVC flange sat around the drain pipe, then a PVC piece was placed over the flange and screwed into the drain pipe to secure the flange. Somehow the flange has popped off. I can't unsrew the PVC piece that is attached to the drain pipe. I wan't to make sure that this is the proper way to attach a toilet flang over a cement sub-floor. Also, any suggestions on how to remove this stuborn PVC piece from the drain pipe.

Old 08-07-02, 07:32 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A lot of those flanges come as one piece. if the metal ring has come off then I would say she is broke good. Also those flanges typically glue to the pipe coming out of the floor. Good luck removing it. I would look into getting a replacement flange with a compression ring, they fit down inside of the existing pipe and then you turn a few nuts to expand a rubber ring that seals it to the old pipe. This will get you a water tight drain but you will still have to drill into the floor to put screws and/or concrete anchors in all of the holes on the outside edge of the new flange. My guess is that the old one peeled up because they never bothered to do that the first time around. Take the time to do so or your toilet will rock back and forth, eventually causing a water leak, which will stain the floor, and you will end up redoing it anyway.

good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: