Street Reconstruction - new piping

Old 08-07-02, 09:08 AM
bhrost
Visiting Guest
Street Reconstruction - new piping

The street I live on is being reconstructed, new water mains will be put in and from these a copper pipe will be run to the curbside where it is connected with the homeowners piping. I received a letter from a plumber advising that it would be a good time to replace my galvanized piping (which runs from the city's hookup to my cellar - a distance of 8-10 feet- with copper).
The two principle reasons he gives in his letter are to prevent future leaks at this juncture (caused by underground electrolysis action), and to take advantage of increased pressure and water flow from the city's new system (he states that old systems are often blocked somewhat by corrosion). He didn't say what the charge would be but a contractor working on the city project I talked to estimated $600 or $700.

At present the water pressure seems perfectly adequate to me. Since this new joint will be on the outside of my water meter a small leak or seepage wouldn't seem to be a big deal as long as it didn't decrease the water pressure significantly. I'm also wondering if I replace the old pipe with this new copper whether it might not cause other problems inside the house at joints etc due to this increased pressure ?(galvanized piping runs through part of the cellar where it eventually connects with copper piping).

The bottom line is that the old piping seems to be providing acceptable water flow now, so I would like to avoid having to incur any costs associated with this upgrade. Sure it would be nice to get all new piping inside and out, but how necessary is this really likely to be? The cost seems pretty high to me for just a short section of pipe (the street will be dug up anyway, though the contractor probably would have to do some further digging to make the connection at my water meter). All opinions and experiences with this situation welcome

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-02, 10:36 AM
If it's not broke don't fix it, wait till you have to fix it.

Old 08-07-02, 01:42 PM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
How old is the house? It is likely the water service is just as old. We know galvanized piping has a tendency to clog up - just a matter of time. The street is dug up - if you plan on staying in the house for a few years, my opinion is put in a new service up to a main shutoff in the house.

Old 08-07-02, 02:09 PM
I would say do it now.... it will probably cost more if you decide to do it later.

Old 08-07-02, 03:18 PM
Pro's and con's to this. Good idea to replace from meter to house now.I have done work like this in past, but...You WILL have leaks if connecting to old galvanized lines. A few pounds of pressure the old pipes aren't "used" to make a big difference with little leaks at elbows.

I would defiantly put a new shut off valve on the main line while your water lines are being switched over.

Old 08-07-02, 06:10 PM
Think of cost of living also, a $700 dollar repair may be a $1200 repair in 5 years. all part of the rat race. and if you do any landscaping, etc.. it may have to come up. Also a "small" leak underground for a month could suprise you someday with a $1000 water bill.