Basement bath

Old 08-07-02, 08:07 PM
Kurt&Stacey
Visiting Guest
Basement bath

I live in a new home and am finishing off the basement. I see where the drain for the tub/shower is. Is there already a trap installed under the slab or do I need to add one in the square that is left open?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-02, 08:10 PM
look down the throat of the drainpipe with a flashlight. If you see water sitting in there then usually there is already at trap.

Was this an old floor drain that you are converting into a shower or was this used as a shower before?

Old 08-07-02, 08:12 PM
Shine a light into the pipe, if you see water then there is a trap there, Chances are on a slap the trap was installed by the plumber.

If you see no water pour some into the drain, then look again, if you see the water the trap is there, if no water good chance there is no trap,, lets hope you see water.

Old 08-08-02, 02:43 PM
Kurt&Stacey
Visiting Guest
There isn't a place to pour water into. The hole in the floor is a square about 10"X10". I dug out the dirt and gravel a few inches down to the capped of pipe. It appears to run horizontally towards the main waste stack. I think that spot was left by the builder for the trap but I'm not sure.

Old 08-10-02, 12:58 AM
MAYBE the builder left you the setup for future add on. currently code says you need a 2" pipe for a shower drain. old ones used to have 1 1/2". You will definitely need to add a p-trap if you are going to put in a shower. There are also other questions about if this line has a vent pipe attached to it. How far does this pipe run before it joins into the main stack for the house. all fixtures need a vent to help let air escape as the water drains. This could also be designed to be a floor drain or even a footing drain (just for ground water).

Old 08-11-02, 11:44 AM
SNAKEMANN233
Visiting Guest
is there a trap

one way to see if there is a trap there is to have someone flush a toilet in the house if you hear the sound of water in the pipe plus a smell from it there is no trap