how can i Lower the water pressure?

Old 08-08-02, 01:45 PM
mom in nd
Visiting Guest

i have a square d regulator on our well tank, my husband turned up the water pressure , and now, of course, since hes gone, all the pipes are leaking, the instructions say "turn nut #1clockwise to raise cut on and off pressures
turn nut #2cw to raise off pressure only

so how can i do this to lower the pressure, i know its as simple as turning a nut, but i am afraid to turn it at all, right now, i have the water simply completely turned off.....

i am sure its simple, but, for some reason , the instructions just arent clicking ....

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-02, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Turn the taller of the two nuts counter clockwise to lower pressure. Don't turn the short one if you can help it.
Turning the taller one ccw one full turn should lower the pressure 3-4 psi.
Try this and let us know if it did the trick, ok?
Best regards,
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com

Old 08-08-02, 03:13 PM
mom in nd
Visiting Guest
thanks , i appreciate the response, but i went down and checked, and both are the same height....
now what????

Old 08-09-02, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
mom in nd:
The instructions should indicate what the two nuts control.
One will probably say "range' and the other may say "cut-in".
Post back with what yours says.
If you look at the pressure guage you could tell us what pressure the pump is starting and stopping at.

Old 08-09-02, 07:48 PM
mom in nd
Visiting Guest
ok.. heres the deal, i looked closer, and the one they labeled, see original post , number 2 , is slightly shorter.

i did get the pressure down , from 60 lbs, to now 20-30 lbs, now , though , it seems like there must be some kind of more adjusting needed, cause when you run the water , it seems to surge and stall, is there some way of ,
i dont know, seperating the two pressure settings?, the pressure drops to about 10, and then kicks in, and goes to 30 before it shuts off...?
is that what its supposed to be doing ?
it certainly doesnt seem right ....

i called my hubby, and he has no idea of how he adjusted the pressure on it originally... even though it was only a few weeks ago... arrrggghhh. i feel like i am going to have to call a plumber, i really dont want to...
especially since the closest one is a 40 minute drive, and yep, he charges travel time ....
come on gurus, help me out here...

Old 08-09-02, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Yep, there should be 20 psi difference between the cutin (10 psi) and the cutout (30 psi).
Don't turn the shorter nut. Turn the taller one clockwise (looking down at it) about two whole turns. That should have the pump coming on at about 20 psi, and shutting off at 40 psi. This should be right for your system.
Let us know how it goes.
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com