Water shuts off on second floor

Old 08-08-02, 06:25 PM
danh95
Visiting Guest
Water shuts off on second floor

I have looked through numerous posts but can't seem to find an answer to my problem.

Here's the deal - I have a 2 story house with a well. The water on the second floor bathroom will shut off and not come back on until 1 of 2 things happens. Either I wait approximately 3 minutes or I turn on a faucet on the first floor. After one of these 2 conditions is met I can hear the pump in the basement kick on and I get water again. In the shower I get about 3 minutes of water until it shuts off again.

What I've done so far -
I have drained and refilled the water heater. Result was the wait time after shutoff reduced to 30 seconds for about 3 days then back to 3 minute wait.
I shutoff the water supply to water heater and tried just cold water. Result was no improvement.
I have switched the bypass valve to bypass on the water softener. Result was no improvement.
I shutoff the pump and drained all the lines then turn back on and refilled. Result was the wait time after shutoff reduced to 30 seconds for about 3 days then back to 3 minute wait.

My wife is really starting to get peeved and I'm afraid she'll force me to call a plumber if I don't get this fixed pretty darn quick. So, I appreciate any suggestions on what to do next.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-02, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
danh95:
Sounds like the setting on the pump's pressure switch may be too low.
You should have a pressure guage on the pump to tell you what is going on.
The pump should start when the pressure falls to about 40 psi and shut off when it hits about 50 psi.
Also you have to be sure that your pressure tank is charged with air to the proper pressure.

Old 08-09-02, 05:10 PM
danh95
Visiting Guest
GregH:
Thanks for your response.

I was leaning toward a bad switch or and adjustment to the switch. I found that my pressure guage is broken and doesn't show any pressure change even when I drained the system.

I plan on running to Lowes and getting a replacement pressure guage. Do you know if I can adjust the pressure on the switch and if so, how? Or, would I be better off just replacing the pressure switch? The house is about 9 years old.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 08-13-02, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I think you would be better off replacing the pressure switch. They are normally pre-set, with the cut in and cut out pressures printed either on the cover, the box or in the instructions. If you have to change the settings later you will have somewhere to start.
Also, make sure the tank is pre-charged with air to the proper pressure or the pump will not cycle properly.

Old 08-14-02, 05:27 PM
danh95
Visiting Guest
Smile

GregH:

Thanks for your help. I did put on a new pressure gauge and saw the pressure was cutting on at a pitfully low 16 psi and cut off was at 40 psi. The switch is a 30/50 so I bought a new one which I'll put in tomorrow.

Your advice saved me a bunch of money and I learned alot too.

Thanks!