noisy pipes

Old 08-09-02, 11:30 PM
gwoolgar
Visiting Guest
noisy pipes

My copper pipes periodically make a repeated banging sound. I've asked a few people about this. One person suggested that I turn the setting down on the hot water tank. While this did seem to decrease the volume and frequency of the pipe noise I was left with luke-warm water when I opened just the hot water valve! Suggestions are welcomed please.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-02, 12:30 AM
The most frequent source of this problem is poorly installed pipes that have not been securely fastened to the framing timber. Water moving swiftly through the pipes comes to a rapid stop when you shut off a fixture and BANG! the pipes move. Sometimes you have to open a wall to strap down the pipes.

you may be able to add a hammer arrestor. a sort of shock absorber that helps minimize the shock. but you are still talking about opening the wall close to the offending fixtue to do so.

Old 08-10-02, 09:55 AM
Another thing to look at is the pressure. High water pressure and small pipe cause the water to travel at a high speed and like the other post said when the water suddenly stops it causes the hammer. It is not practical in most situations to oversize the pipe to slow down the water. So check your water pressure and if it is over 50 lbs or so look into a Pressure reducing valve to reduce it this will slow the water down and help all your plunbing as high pressure takes a toll on plumbing.

Good Luck