How to keep pipes clean?

Old 08-10-02, 06:07 AM
Scotswahey
Visiting Guest
Question How to keep pipes clean?

Is it advisable to periodically pour unclogging chemicals (available from grocery stores) into one's sinks and drains to reduce possbility of future clogs? Or is there another way to maintain the household plumbing?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-02, 08:35 AM
I think chemicals are useful in some applications.
If you have clear drains, you can buy different brands of emzyme based products and have these little guys living in your drains eating away at grease and food particles. This is the route I would look at instead of the chemical applications.

Old 08-10-02, 08:52 AM
When I had a septic system my aunt recommended using yeast once a month to keep the drains clear and also help the septic tank do its job. Would this work in keeping houselines clear or would it just run on through? I am on city managed sewer now.

Kay

Old 08-10-02, 09:59 AM
Cool

As notuboo recommended, just use a good non-toxic, enzyme-based drain cleaner like DrainCare for routine maintenance to prevent sluggish drains.
Follow the directions on the jug. It will eat out all organic matter such as hair, body oil, grease, gunk build-up, etc., and won't harm any pipes.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 08-10-02, 01:19 PM
Scotswahey
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I like the sound of the enzyme-based products much better than the toxic alternatives. Actually, I didn't know they even existed. I sure hope they're sitting on the shelf next to Drano and Mr. Plumber!!

Old 08-10-02, 02:45 PM
Try Home Depot

If you don't find Drain Care in the grocery store (I didn't), try Home Depot. I found it there for quite a reasonable price and it worked well on my very sluggish bathtub.

Beth

Old 08-10-02, 03:03 PM
You will find several independant plumbing companies selling a product named Bio-clean. It is a powdered based product and a couple of years ago, I sold it by the case load.
Rotor Rooter has it's own proprietary brand of emzyme cleaner as does many of the drain cleaner imitators.

If you have trouble running down a product in stores, you might call around to a couple of plumbers / drain cleaners. They would be more than happy to sell it to you.

Old 08-11-02, 10:06 AM
SNAKEMANN233
Visiting Guest
Re: How to keep pipes clean?

Originally posted by Scotswahey
Is it advisable to periodically pour unclogging chemicals (available from grocery stores) into one's sinks and drains to reduce possbility of future clogs? Or is there another way to maintain the household plumbing?
I never suggest any chemicals in drains, but i do tell my customers to use one teaspoon of baking soda to one cup of white vinegar over night let stand overnight than fill sink half way and drain, this should be used where soaps are used alot this way is very safe on any system and will make sewer line very clean over time.

Old 08-11-02, 10:30 AM
I've also heard that pouring boiling hot water down the commode can help to keep those lines clear, too. Is that true or just another 'tale'?

Kay

Old 08-11-02, 10:55 AM
SNAKEMANN233
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by kaybyrd
I've also heard that pouring boiling hot water down the commode can help to keep those lines clear, too. Is that true or just another 'tale'?

Kay
well? i feel if you use any water it just fills up the fixture more and it being hot can cause any greases in the line to become very soft and very hard to move out out system while snaking, i found cold water helpful so while i'm cleaning a line it is breaking up,

Old 08-11-02, 12:06 PM
Scotswahey
Visiting Guest
Keeping plumbing pipes clean....

Thanks for all the great ideas. The baking soda and vinegar sounds good, too. Plus I usually have that stuff sitting in my pantry. Thanks for all your help, everyone.

Old 08-12-02, 08:59 AM
PipeBender
Visiting Guest
Be very careful pouring boiling water into any fixture, especially if the room is cool. The rapid temperature change may crack or even brake it.

Old 08-12-02, 09:41 AM
I haven't done this myself for that exact reason. I was afraid of pouring such a hot liquid into a cool porcelain fixture.

I vaguely remember someone saying that grease moves better when solid. I'm glad that was brought up, too. My favorite in the apartment I used to rent was using the baking soda and white vinegar. I was afraid to use anything else since so many of us were hooked up to the same system and I had no idea of what they were putting down their sinks! I started doing that to keep the smells down. The maintenance man recommended that I stop doing it since we didn't know what others were putting down their drains that could combine with my vinegar. I just put baking soda in after that to keep things a little fresher smelling.

Kay

Old 08-12-02, 02:10 PM
Brazen C5
Visiting Guest
Referred to this site from another DIY forum member.

http://www.queenofclean.com/tips/#drains