Rattling pipes when toilet flushes

Old 08-12-02, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Rattling pipes when toilet flushes

Our pipes moan and rattle (just started) when we flush our toilet (not every time). We thought it was a pressure buildup in system when we left our hose on (but not spraying) for a day. We since relieved the pressure and flushed our basement (lowest level) toilet as well.

Do we need to call a plumber?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-02, 07:22 PM
SNAKEMANN233
Visiting Guest
RATTLE SOUNDS

SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY NEED A FILL VALVE (FLUIDMASTER 400A)

Old 08-14-02, 11:59 AM
I forgot to mention sewer company has been cleaning pipes in my street, They TV'd the line today because of ongoing calls for cleanouts. Does this affect my pipes.

Old 08-15-02, 04:34 PM
SNAKEMANN233
Visiting Guest
IT SHOULD HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR RATTLE SOUND, YOUR SOUND IS COMING FROM YOUR WATER LINE NOT WASTE SYSTEM

Old 08-15-02, 04:59 PM
People are moving away from the old style of ballcock assembly that has the swinging float switch. They have a tendancy to whine when they are almost shut off. I agree with SM233, replacing the ballcock with a fluidmaster A400 is the first step. If it still does it after that, write back but this should do it.

Old 08-15-02, 05:30 PM
Question

We replaced all of our toilet in-erds a few years back with the newer in-erds that have a one-piece assembly like you mentioned (non-ballcock). I don't think this is the problem. The water does shut off.

Please advise.

Old 08-15-02, 10:34 PM
You may want to try to rebuild that A 400 fluidmaster. Sometimes you get a bit of grit or rust caught inside the fill valve and it will make a whistling noise. If you twist the black top of the fill valve about 30 degrees to one side you can disassemble the valve and check it for debris. do this with the water off.

rattling can also be caused by loose pipes inside the wall. When the water is moving through them they can vibrate. Unfortunately you ususally need to open the wall to strap down the pipes. try the next bit first.

sometimes trapped air causes vibration. you could also try shutting down the water main and then drain all the water out of the house by opening some low fixtures and one on the upper floor. When the water is out close all the fixtures down except a hose bib or two. turn the water back on and let it run for a few minutes before you turn off the hose. see if that makes a difference.