Adding Washer Drain / Old Home

Old 08-12-02, 01:06 PM
soultrane
Visiting Guest
Adding Washer Drain / Old Home

Hello,

This question is related to another recent question by another member. My sister has recently purchased an older home. The laundry washer drains into the backyard. What needs to be done in order to update this?

1) If the drain should be routed to existing drainage - how would one identify the destination?

2) What additional materials are needed (this is a 1 story with no basement)? [tools / parts / etc]

3) What are the steps in handling this job?

4) A plumber told her it would be $1,000. What would be an approximate do-it-yourself estimate (in terms of material costs)?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-02, 01:50 PM
Cool

I assume that this old house has a crawlspace where the house drain pipes can be accessed.
The "destination" would be to the nearest drain pipe tied into the main drain/waste/vent system.
I would install...in the wall just above the washer control panel... a recessed washer box (about $35) that has connections with shutoff valves for the hot and cold water hoses and a drain for the washer's discharge hose to hook into, if she doesn't already have one.
The drain should have a trap at the bottom of it and the drain line should have a vent pipe just past the trap. The drain line should slope 1/4" per linear foot toward the existing drain line that it is to be connected to.
I would use 1.5", or better yet, 2" PVC white plastic pipe for plumbing this in. You just have to hacksaw it, clean it up, PVC prime it and PVC glue it.
There are far too many variables to give you a cost estimate, but $1,000 is WAY high, unless this house is on a slab.
You can D-I-Y for far less than that, but you're going to have to open up a section of the wall to plumb and vent this properly.
The September 2002 issue of Reader's Digest "The Family Handyman" magazine that just came out has a photo showing an installed washer box with the trap and vent connections.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 08-12-02, 04:03 PM
soultrane
Visiting Guest
The house does have a slab foundation. FYI - her current (inhereted) solution is a hole through the washroom wall and a hose that goes through the wall and out the back (yard).

Old 08-13-02, 05:41 AM
Cool

Is the washroom near the main drain in the yard going from the house to the public sewer or private septic system?
The least expensive thing may be to come out of the wall and run a washer drain line directly to the main line without going into the slab.
It is difficult to guess without being able to see what you're dealing with.
Mike